6 month supervised diet calorie intake problems

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/15/15 12:13 pm - OH

As the others have said, that is a lot of carbs... about twice as much as you will be allowed/suggested post-op.  Because you are going to have a more challenging time getting in protein post-op with a limited amount of meat, I would suggest using this time to try to get into that pattern of eating NOW. Not all carbs are created equal, of course, but finding dense proteins that will keep you feeling full NOW will help you immensely post-op. Beans are an excellent, filling source of protein.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/15/15 2:11 pm

I eat lots of beans!  Black beans and chick peas are my favorites.  I also like quinoa which is a complete protein and very high in calories. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 3:59 pm

And very high in carbs which must be counted in your totals. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/16/15 4:08 pm

I am going to have to find a doctor and a nutritionist who can work with my dietary restrictions.  Both Dr. Garth Davis and Dr. Matthew Weiner are bariatric surgeons who promote vegetarian/vegan diets for WLS patients so I know it can be done.  Unfortunately one is in TX and the other is in MI and I'm in AZ.  It will work, it will just take a really good plan of action to do it. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

gram247
on 3/17/15 10:54 pm

Looks like a lot of food. 

Check with your doctor's office and see if they have a counselor for you to talk to. My doctor had a someone to talk to about food issues.

You will have to get used to much less after surgery. 

I had the VGSB in 10/11 & lost 200 pounds. When they do the surgery, they remove a part of the stomach which excretes the hunger-triggering enzyme. I still am not hungry. I eat because I have to. Many foods that I loved pre-op , I have no taste for now, like chocolate.

You need to concentrate on dense protein to satisfy your body's need for protein, & less on fruits. You will need to eat several small meals to accommodate what you need to have. 

Good luck.

Chilipepper
on 3/15/15 1:06 am

I told you before that living a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle is very hard, next to impossible with our life postop. You are going to have to eat an awful lot of carbs and calories to get your protein in.  More carbs and calories will put more pounds on you and you will gain even postop. 

You are not the first nor the last who will try, I wish you luck but.....

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/15/15 2:13 pm

Thanks for the luck.  I think I'm going to need it, and a really good plan of action. 

Maria27
on 3/15/15 2:57 am, edited 3/15/15 3:01 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

When I used to just count calories and eat as many carbs as you are, I was always hungry too. But I am on day 13 of the pre-op diet, and I don't feel hungry anymore even though I have been eating less than 1200 calories a day. I never could have done it without limiting carbs. I am allowed 10-15 oz of chicken or fish, 2 eggs, 2 c low fat dairy or dairy substitutes, 1/4 c nuts and seeds, 1/2 c beans, 3 c non-starchy vegetables, and 3/4 c fruit a day. This never leads to more than 80 carbs in a day.

Have you tried hemp seed? It is a good source of protein and low in carbs. Also, are you on a PPI? I recently realized that a lot of my hunger was actually from stomach acid, and I become a bottomless pit after I drink coffee. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/15/15 1:44 pm

Thank you for sharing! 

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/15/15 3:02 am, edited 3/15/15 3:03 am

My weight today is 187.1 on the bathroom scale down from 201 on 1/1/15.  I can't get below 176 or I will disqualify myself for surgery because my BMI will fall ever so slightly below 35.  I would like to be at a BMI of 35 going into surgery, so that's 11 more pounds to shed. I started my pre-surgery diet in Jan. The PCP gave me the calorie range of 1400-1500 but MyFitnessPal gave me a calorie range of 1200-1300 to lose a pound a week -  it also gave me the daily goals at the bottom of the page.  I don't know how the app comes up with those goals or if they can be modified.  Bottom line for the supervised weight loss is to lose 25 pounds total.  The only thing I know about insulin response it how to keep my diabetic Mom's blood sugars within a certain range, so not really knowledgeable about it at all.  She eats fruit and does better with her readings than if she eats processed food.  But she eats very little in general so that probably has a lot to do with it too.  I'm going to have to do some research and educate myself on that to be successful.  Right now I want to keep the grumbellies at bay.     

Several days ago I posted about meeting a surgeon whom I didn't like.  I've found another practice that accepts my insurance but I have not made an appointment with them yet.  I will ask the PCP for the referral when I meet with her in April.