not losing ANY weight after 2nd VSG

still_chubby
on 3/14/15 8:36 am

I cant remember the doctors name this time.. it was in Tijuana. My first was 7 years ago by Dr Aceves (who passed) and it was wonderful! but my weight crept back up this last year which was the most stressful year of my LIFE!! and I went for a revision... and Nothing!! i feel absolutely no different

White Dove
on 3/14/15 1:00 pm - Warren, OH

In the end it comes down to calories.  I consume 1400 calories a day to maintain 136 and cut to 1250 to lose 1/2 pound a week or 900 to lose a pound a week.

I am hungry when I do that.  I saw my tool as a chance to get myself on a equal playing field with people who were never obese and learn to eat like them.  It got me there and from that point forward it became a game of controlling my intake.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 3/14/15 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/14/15 9:34 pm, edited 3/14/15 9:36 pm - UK

Edited to add. Sorry! Have just realised your surgery us in the subject! I apologise!

Without having any idea what you revised from and to, it is difficult to answer.  Even if you can't remember the name of the surgeon who operated on you, surely you have some paperwork? Address? Invoice? Receipt? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/14/15 11:30 pm - OH

What Grim "said". The surgery is just part of the equation.  You have to do your part as well and control what, and how much, you eat.  It's just that simple.  

The "most stressful year" of your life did not un-do your surgery... It un-did your eating habits.  The weight did not just magically creep back up.  You regained because you ate too much -- or too much of the wrong things -- because, like many of us, you were stressed out and either stopped paying attention or just reverted back to old habits.

You may not even have needed a revision (but many surgeons, especially when you don't have to provide to an insurance company that there is a NEED for a revision, are happy to take your money anyway).  If that is the case -- as I suspect it is based on what you wrote -- the physical change in your body is probably fairly small... and is probably why you feel no different (unlike when you went from your large natural stomach to the small sleeve the first time, which is a significant change).

I am NOT saying this to be mean, but you are trying the wrong "fix".  I would suggest that you consider working with a counselor who can help you with the stress and can help you develop coping skills that don't involve food.  Many of us  became obese in the first place because we ate for emotional reasons, and most of us still have to guard against that even many years out.  It is a lifelong battle.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/15/15 8:23 am

Nothing helpful can be replied if no details are given.  Is the duodenal switch still an option?  Also I would absolutely not go to a random doc.  A re-sleeve is a very dangerous procedure.  I would have had to know my docs name.  You must change now as there is but so much WLS you will be able to have and survive

All best to you

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

still_chubby
on 3/15/15 3:42 pm

Dr. Almanza

I just couldnt remember his name at that moment. I looked him up, talked to his staff who told me what I wanted to hear I guess.."oh yes absolutely you will meet your goal"

The first VSG resulted in a revulsion to food. I had to FORCE the protein down and i really preferred to drink my vitamins and proteins. But this time i feel NO CHANGE.. not at all. 

The first time Dr. Aceves told me he had a heck of a time because of the scar tissue of previous bad lipo suction in my abdomen area. So my concern here is that this 2nd doctor opened me up, saw the horrible scar tissue and pulled out. I feel NONE of the feelings that i had at #1. No restriction, no revulsion of food, nothing. and i have lost nothing. in fact i have GAINED 4 pounds. What do you mean when you say a resleeve is is dangerous? and what is WLS??

MsBatt
on 3/18/15 1:01 am

Almanza has a terrible reputation. Maybe he DID just close you back up, and that might turn out to be a good thing.

Without knowing exactly what you're eating, it's hard to give good advice. If you don't journal your food, start today. If you can post a few days' menus, maybe we can make some suggestions.

I don't know how many calories a day the typical Sleever eats to lose, but if you eat not over-eating or eating the wrong things, then the problem may not be with your intake but with how your body metabolizes food. Have you ever researched a procedure called the Duodenal Switch? It has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass that causes you to permanently malabsorb a significant per centage of the food you eat. This makes a dramatic change in how your body metabolizes what you eat.

Resleeving can be dangerous, especially if the new staple line has to cross the old staple line. This greatly increases the risk of having a leak.

WLS is Weight Loss Surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/16/15 5:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If OP hasn't been able to lose weight after 2 surgeries, why should a 3rd be any different?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

still_chubby
on 5/8/15 11:08 pm

i lost 105 pounds after Dr. Aceves.

ive gained since i moved to CA to take care of my parents... my activity level is in the toilet. 

Please show some kindness... I'm not here to make trouble or to be beat up

kindly