Loose abdominal skin

Mh97686
on 3/11/15 12:14 pm

Im about to have surgery in 3 weeks and I am worried about loose skin.  Any advise on how to firm up the skin to prevent more surgery? 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/9/15 7:57 pm, edited 3/9/15 7:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

There is a post about this same topic just above yours - here is the link.

There is basically no way to prevent excess skin after massive (over 80 lbs) weight loss regardless of how you lose weight - fast or slow, WLS or not. It depends on your age, genetics, skin type, how long you have been overweight, and probably a host of other medical factors that I don't know. 

Cremes and potions will certainly make your skin feel nice but if you are bound to have loose skin, you will have it, no matter how many magical products you use. Plastics is the only sure bet.

I lost about 100 lbs and I am 50 and have 3 kids and my skin quality is pretty good so there was not much sag but I had about 5 lbs of skin removed in a lower body lift procedure - mostly on my stomach. Well worth it. I look better than I did before I had kids!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

sleevelouise
on 3/9/15 7:57 pm

It depends a lot on genetics, your current skin elasticity, how quickly you lose the weight, how well you maintain it.. Some people say that strength training with weights may help, as well as cardio. However, can't comment much on that as I've been on my own journey for a while now, and shedding the pounds very gradually, so haven't got much loose skin.

I did have a friend who had a tummy tuck to remove the apron that was left after she lost a lot of weight on her own.

Had surgery at Nordbariatric, with surgeon A. Maleckas.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/15 8:36 pm, edited 3/9/15 8:36 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Loose skin is better than fat filled skin -- because it doesn't harm your health.  Otherwise, the only way to fix it is with plastic surgery. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kate -True Brit
on 3/10/15 5:40 am - UK

As all the others say. You can tone the muscle under the skin but unless you are one if the very lucky few (usually either young or without much to lose) you will have loose skin. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

dragonlove
on 3/11/15 4:33 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Remember that your skin will not rapidly shrink up.  Based on your genetics and everything else mentioned in the responses here, you will only get the amount of shrinkage that your body will do.  There is very little you can to and there are not miracle creams.

With that said, I do feel like taking good care of your skin and keeping it full of vitamins and moisturizing can only help it do the best it can.  I don't think any of the creams I am using have *made* any improvement on their own.  However, I do feel like that by keeping my skin in the best health I can, that I am helping it live up to its potential (shrinkage)!

I can tell that I have a little less sag than I had 3 months ago.  I'm at the stage now to figure out which parts bother me enough to go through surgery.  If you don't have a burning desire to wear bikinis or if arm flaps won't stop you wearing tank tops, then don't bother with surgery.  It is all up to you!

I will tell you, that even with my sags and flaps, I'd sure rather be under-inflated than over-inflated!  Even with my "bat-wings" under my arms, I still wore a strapless evening gown to my company Christmas party!  And I rocked it!

Good luck and I hope your surgery goes well!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Valerie G.
on 3/11/15 7:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Start a savings account for plastic surgery and plan on wearing lycra shapers to conceal it until you do.  Don't fall for any magic creams, lotions or exercises.  There is no way to predict it,prevent it, or treat it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

crystal M.
on 3/12/15 3:10 am - Joliet, IL

I lost about 180lbs and I have some skin sag in  my tummy area...but also in my inner thighs and boobs and upper arms.  But all and all it's not that bad.  Quite frankly I abused my body to the point I was that over weight I am going to have some repercussions to deal with afterwards.  I expected and I accept it.  Do I look like a model naked...ummmm no.  But I look a hell of a lot better than I did when I was 360lbs.  With clothes on you can't tell at all.  And if I wear tight fitting or body contouring clothes I will wear some spanx and I look pretty good.  So I can't complain. 

But I workout and have worked out for 4 years now and there is no way to tighten up lose skin with exercise.  I always joke that under all of this skin is a tight toned body.   

David147
on 4/22/15 7:45 pm

There is actually not much of an option excess skin doesn't disappear by exercised to does need to be surgically removed...