Kurbo - weight loss App for kids

SUMO96
on 3/9/15 12:39 pm, edited 3/9/15 8:43 pm - Dorado, Puerto Rico

Planning on using this App with my 11yr old girl.  Any thought or experiences with it?

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Pokemom
on 3/9/15 2:53 pm, edited 3/9/15 10:45 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you so much for posting this.

Just tonight, my 10-yr-old son asked, "Can we do something to help me lose weight?"  he struggles with weight, while his 2 older brothers do not.  He really is self conscious about it, and we have talked about many ideas for quite some time.  Some of this is out of his control--metabolism and other factors we do not understand.  However, much can be in his control.  And maybe this is something that can help him.  I have felt that if I could just help him to maintain his current weight as he enters puberty and his growth spurt, then his body may help him at that time.

I did find this review of the app on Common Sense Media--a web site I really trust for its honest reviews of stuff for families and kids.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/app-reviews/weight-loss-for -kids-and-teens-by-kurbo-health#

Eggface
on 3/9/15 6:19 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Hope this resource helps: http://www.stopobesityalliance.org/wp-content/themes/stopobe sityalliance/pdfs/stopobesityalliance-weighin.pdf

I have heard of the app... I have mixed thoughts... I went on my first "diet" at 13 and so began the rollercoaster. As many of us can attest there is usually way more to excess weight than too many calories... I understand there is a coaching component and perhaps that addresses those issues... though I'd be sure those "coaches" are sharing the right kind of messages.

Best to both of your families,

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 11:10 pm

I will say one thing I did with my kids was I made them pick out healthy meals and help with the cooking and shopping. 

Han Shot First
on 3/10/15 1:24 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My daughter loves to help me cook, and especially when she's acting as my assistant, she'll try anything.  We also work on healthy meals, and over the past year, her weight has stayed the same while she keeps getting taller.  It's exactly what her doctor wanted to see.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Han Shot First
on 3/10/15 1:22 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I read some about the app here: http://time.com/3048707/the-kurbo-app-for-weight-loss/

One thing I don't really like about it is the "fats are bad" attitude.  I like the idea of dividing foods into three groups (red, yellow, and green), but from the article, avocados are considered red, along with regular cheese and nuts.  I just don't agree with this, and it's one of the few pieces of advice from my surgeon that I don't follow.  If it had some customization, I would be more likely to think about using it eventually (my daughter is only 6 right now)  

--

SUMO96
on 3/10/15 1:53 am - Dorado, Puerto Rico

I'm with you on the fats as well Bill.  But, how I see it it helps my daughter with an overall goal of making choices on what she eats.  I like the idea that red foods are not "forbidden" but allocated in smaller doses and she can learn to have control of her choices instead of us imposing her diet.

My niece is a Stanford trained pediatrician and knows the program that this app is based on well.  She tells me the focus is not on what they eat, but on how their thought process work while choosing food.  Choices give the kids freedom that help them grow healthier in mind and body.

Disclaimer:  No one in my family has any ties with this product.

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Han Shot First
on 3/10/15 4:05 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Ah, okay.  I didn't get that red =/= forbidden.  Limited makes more sense, but it still kind of feels like they're being unfairly demonized.  But I can totally see that as long as the kids get their new thought process out of it, it could be pretty helpful.

--

Kathy S.
on 3/10/15 7:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

If you live it, they will love it  If they see you cooking and eating healthy they will want to do it with you.  As far as working out, make it fun. I don't know if I would use an app created for the purpose of kids losing weight.  I am with Shelly, big time fat kid, childhood issues. But what about some of the wii games where you move and dance.  Get outside if you can and walk, bike, hike. 

Let us know wha you think of the app if you get it  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130