Net Carbs

TheBee
on 3/11/15 8:44 am
RNY on 04/20/15

I haven't had surgery yet, but will be having RNY next month.  My job is going to make it challenging to sit an extended time to consume a meal, but I also drive a lot so am looking into emergency meal replacement options that won't require refrigeration and can be eaten while driving.  Since most of the bars are around 170 calories, I'm thinking that as long as I'm using them as an actual meal replacement, just once a day and not every day, that it might be an option, just to insure I get those 21g of protein.  (Or if I split it into 2 snacks.) Just thinking ahead and appreciate all the responses!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/11/15 11:04 am - OH

Like Valerie, I never counted carbs (we had the same surgeon, and she said that if you focused on protein and healthy choices following the food plan she laid out in our information book, the carbs would "take care of themselves").

The surgeons I work for part time all say basically what Grim said... No "net carbs" because it usually ends up being a justification for eating something you probably shouldn't have.nthey, however, don't tell patients to keep carbs so low.  They recommend 50g per day as what to "shoot for" since very low carb diets have some physical drawbacks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 3/12/15 12:28 am

Carbs are carbs! There is no way to dress up or dress down a carb. Carbs come in all varieties whether it be processed, produced or grown. There are no "good" or "healthy" carbs. Some foods have different amounts of carbs and you may want to steer yourself to the foods that have fewer carbs.  Carbs and our lifestyle are like oil and water.  They don't mix.  There is no justifying any carb. You will encounter carbs all along your journey but it's having the smarts to determine how to handle those carbs.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

White Dove
on 3/12/15 12:44 am - Warren, OH

I was a big fan of Atkins and always counted net carbs.  I also had keto sticks and tested my urine to be sure I stayed in ketosis.  When I stayed with only meats and a few very low glycemic veggies, I could also stay in ketosis.

Once I would add the Atkins bars and go with net carbs, I would also go out of ketosis, even if the net carbs were under 30 a day. 

Net carbs are one of the things that ultimately helped get me heavy enough for weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/12/15 5:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I factor in the TOTAL carbs, not the NET carbs.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MsBatt
on 3/12/15 8:03 am

If you'll put your surgery type and date on your profile, it will show up each time you post. This helps us help you.