sleep study

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 1:47 am

Im wondering why some docs order a sleep study and some dont, mine doesn't require it, I've read here about needing a machine to sleep post op and I'm afraid something bad will happen to me if I dont have the machine, I know I snore, should I assume since I'm overweight that I have sleep apnea? Do I ask the doc to order one anyway? 

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/8/15 3:12 am

The surgeon I had my initial consultation with is sending me for a sleep study but I've never had sleep apnea. I was told there can be a complication after surgery if you have it and don't use the machine.  I suppose he is just being cautious.  You can always ask for a study to be done.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

White Dove
on 3/8/15 3:15 am - Warren, OH

You can talk with your doc and see what he says, I did not need a sleep study

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sanstar
on 3/8/15 4:09 am

I had the sleep study done before my surgery.  They told me that I stoped berathing over 100 times in the first hr. and worke me up and put the cpap machine on me.  I'm glad they did. I never relized that I wasn't breathing like I should.  I use it every night now even after the surgery. I get a better nighs sleep and feel more refreshed when I wake up.  Yes it is inconvient, but I feel much safer using it.

The test is simple, you just sleep on you back, and are hooked up to a machine that monitors you while you slleep. Overnight stay.

Its worth the time, to know you are ok. Also it is a good thing if the DR's and anesthesiologist are aware if you have sleep apnea.

Maria27
on 3/8/15 4:15 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I would talk to your anesthesiologist about it because it can increase the risks associated with the anesthesia. That being said, I did not have to undergo a sleep study either. However, I am married, and my husband has never noticed me snoring. You may not have it, of if you do, it could be mild. I had to meet with the anesthesiologist two weeks prior to surgery, and she was satisfied with what I told her.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 6:36 am, edited 3/8/15 6:37 am
RNY on 05/04/15

At my doc's clinic, absolutely everyone gets at least a home sleep test. Untreated sleep apnea + anesthesia can be fatal. Some docs don't bother if you don't have any symptoms of sleep apnea, but if you already know you snore, you should get it checked out regardless of your plans for WLS. Untreated sleep apnea can lead to heart failure, high blood pressure, stroke, etc. I love my CPAP!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/8/15 6:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

GREAT ADVICE.  I totally agree.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat