where to visit when you think that you broke your tool

SaraJane38
on 3/7/15 5:37 pm

Hi,  never thought I would be here telling you that I have been on a binge --- sugar, carbs, junk,caffeine, even a soda today.... Yuk... Where on this sight should I visit to get re-encouraged and or B-slapped in to reality where I am losing weight rather than making myself sick and and watching the scale slide in the opposite direction. thanks for the suggestions.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/7/15 7:02 pm - UK

Here!  But you need to tell us a bit more befire we all support/encourage/ kick you!

which surgery? When? How long have you binged? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

SaraJane38
on 3/7/15 7:28 pm

RNY... I have never regretted it and still don't... its been the best thing that I ever did for myself. 

SaraJane38
on 3/7/15 7:27 pm

I had surgery on April 2, 2013.  I have been as low on the scale as 167 but weigh in now at 191.  Embarrassed, ashamed, feel gross, need to get back on track and drop the 25 lbs that I have gained.  I have the knowledge but lack something... or is it just Laziness.  I'm being real here.... I have been Lazy and this is what I get for it.

SaraJane38
on 3/7/15 7:59 pm

I really just want to get back to the basics,  the guidelines for success have been terribly muddled over the past few months and now I know that despite what I know I still need to be accountable to my new self on a diligent daily basis... I will always have a health challenge when it comes to weight... its just a matter of the challenge being on my hips after passing my lips or being in control of the challenge and facing it head on with following a meal plan, exercising, drinking water at the right time, taking the supplements, getting enough sleep.... its all so custodial for a successful life.  Why is it so ridiculously difficult for us to do the right thing for ourselves.... holy crap do I need a psychologist again?

Kate -True Brit
on 3/7/15 8:01 pm - UK

OK, so here is my story,  I am banded not bypassed but the principle of getting back on track is the same. 

I lost all my excess weight in 15 months and have been basically maintaining since mid-2007. But during that time, I have had several periods of slight regain and two major blips,  each of which leading to me regaining 28lbs. Sounds like an oddly exact number but in the UK we measure in stone and 28lb is 2 stone and so a panic-making point.

Both times I got rid of it!

For me, I need a feeling of "no choice". The first time, my adult children, who are all hard up and can't spare much money, told me they were clubbing together and buying me a designer coat, of my own choice, for my 60th birthday. They knew I had put some weight on and so gave me two months advance notice. Not because THEY wanted me slimmer. But because they knew I might want to be! They were correct! I don't buy designer clothes and no way was I going to buy one bigger than a US size 8/10 - and designer clothes come up small! 

The second time, we booked flights to Malaysia to backpack round the peninsula and Borneo. In the jungles, there are leeches and other nasties, and lots of malaria carrying Mosquitos. All my suitable trekking clothing was too small for me. Quick-dry, mosquito-proof clothing for trekking is expensive. So I had to get back to the size to get into it! Also carrying an extra 28lb would had made trekking in high temp and humidity unpleasant.

So both times - mindset was key. I felt I HAD to do it.

Then I went right back to the early days, I ate exactiy as I did at, say, four months post-op. Of course, it was hard. But I had what for me is the essential ingredient. Total motivation. You can have all the plans in the world. But if you don't want to be slim more than you want food, it won't happen.

SaraJane38
on 3/7/15 8:11 pm

Good Advice. Thanks for posting it for me.  I will have to create some incentive in my life to help motivate me when my internal motivation is waning- the have to's sometimes freak me out a little bit and create enough stress that I sneak the wrong foods for comfort.  I seem to work best when I am doing self care, documenting, and having an occasional check point or someone holding me accountable.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/7/15 8:22 pm - UK

We all have to find our own way! Good luck!

White Dove
on 3/8/15 12:03 am - Warren, OH

I had a surgeon who talked about regain at every visit.  I did not want to believe him but found out he was right.  Most people have some regain.  It is not so much laziness as plain boredom.

Following a plan gets old.  We feel confident and go back to old habits.  The first place to go for help is to your scale and it sounds like you have been there.  Go back every morning and never let yourself get into denial about your weight.  Regain happens when you stop weighing.

Then you start counting calories.  You need about 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight now.  To lose start by dropping down to 1500 a day and you will lose a pound a week.  Be consistent with weighing and counting calories and allow a week for every pound that you want to lose.

You can take it back off.  You don't have to give up all the junk at once and you don't have to lose all the excess pounds quickly.  Keep making changes and you will find what will work for you long term.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eggface
on 3/8/15 12:32 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Read this: http://www.obesityaction.org/binge-eating-disorder-treatment

Sending you best wishes,

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com