OA

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 3:35 pm

Has anyone ever attended a meeting, I wanted to know what to expect or what happens during a meeting. 

Nich_R
on 3/9/15 4:51 pm, edited 3/9/15 4:52 pm

I went to OA for about a year but haven't been in months. I've recently thought about going back because I like the support that I found at the meetings.

The meetings I have gone to open the meeting the same way every time. There are a couple of readings they do. They're short and just go over what OA is, some basic rules, and the 12 steps. Some meetings have a speaker, someone that tells their story. Once a month they read one of the 12 steps and that's kind of the topic for the evening. Although if you want to speak, you don't necessarily have to stick with that topic. There is a period of time for sharing. You can choose to talk or just listen. You're given a few mins to talk. Nobody is to give advice or comment on what you've shared about. After the meeting is over, a lot of times people will stick around and chat. That's a good time to get advice and ask questions if you want. A lot of people find a sponsor to work with.

Hope that helps.

Nichole

jastypes
on 3/10/15 1:28 am - Croydon, PA

I attend OA meetings.  The program has helped me tremendously to find a workable Plan of Eating and to mostly stick to that plan.  The meetings follow a general format of some readings and information, followed by either a literature reading or a speaker, then the floor is opened for sharing.  There is a no cross-talk rule, so it's not a back-and-forth support group format, but rather a terrific and safe place to express yourself.  The real recovery comes in working the steps, with a sponsor.  There are also online meetings and phone meetings.  I belong to a step study group online as well.  I have not eaten compulsively since July 10, 2013.  (I had my surgery in 2007 and really struggled for a while.)  I highly recommend it. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/15 2:18 am

Thank you ladies! When searching for more info, I stumbled upon a YouTube video, a lady explained her first meeting, and put me at ease. I will be attending my first meeting this Friday 

Nich_R
on 3/10/15 3:48 pm

Good for you! :)

Tracy D.
on 3/11/15 1:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tracy D.
on 3/10/15 5:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've been going to OA for 9 years - long before I ever had WLS.  It's run like a regular 12-step program.  It's based on the steps and traditions of AA.  It's "anonymous" in that no one gives their last name in the meeting but you can share that privately if you choose. 

Most meetings start off with the Serenity Prayer, some readings or a topic and then it's get open for sharing.  Meetings typically last 60 minutes and are closed with some type of prayer or affirmation.  

I would suggest that if you have more than one meeting in your area that you visit ALL of them.  Each group may have a little different format and will definitely have a different vibe.  You need to visit them all to see which one is a good fit for you.  

There are also OA online meetings and phone meetings if you can't get to one in person.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Stacy_WLS
on 3/10/15 7:08 am

I attend meetings and work with a sponsor.  I find that it is super helpful.  Beyond losing the weight we (addicts -- I know not everyone here is, but I am), need to address that part of ourselves.  

As others mentioned different meetings have different feelings.  I am currently really enjoying the OA Hour of Power meetings (OAHOP.org) -- these are phone meetings and are recorded daily, so I am able to listen on my commute home.  

Good luck at your first meeting! 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)