What to tell coworkers?

suzygreenberg
on 3/9/15 8:14 am - Canada

Hi all,

I'm finishing up all my tests before I get my surgery date in less than two weeks, and it's starting to become obvious to my coworkers something is going on by the way they keep asking where I've been.  At this point I do not feel comfortable telling everyone who asks where I've been all the details, but I know I will have to tell them when I let them know I will be going off work for a few weeks.  I have a very supportive management team, but like anywhere, there will be questions when I get back.  

How did you handle the situation?  Did you tell everyone that asked that you had bariatric sugery? Or did you just say you had a procedure and you're fine now?  My workplace is very social, so this is something I can't avoid.  I want to be honest, but in another way I want to say it's none of their business.  

Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm blogging about my journey, in the only way I know how to - with a lot of humour and a little potty mouth

shakesandspanx.blogspot.ca

angiekrn
on 3/9/15 8:35 am - Brighton, MI

I work in a very social place, too. I told a few of my closest friends/coworkers early on in the process. I told everyone else just before I left on medical leave. I'm a nurse in a small out patient surgical center. It would be hard to keep it from them. They have been supportive..... some, more than others. They ask me advice and another nurse is going to have VSG, too. It was better than I thought it would be.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 9:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

poet_kelly
on 3/9/15 2:31 pm - OH

Well, you could honestly say it is none of their business.  Because honestly, it isn't.

I told people the same way I would about any other medical procedure.  If you were having gall bladder surgery or a knee replacement, would you tell them what you were having done?  Would you just say you were having surgery but not provide any details?  That's how I dealt with my RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

christinamudd
on 3/10/15 1:41 am

I told everyone the truth in my case which is that I had a hiatal hernia repair.  I told my close co-worker and close friends the truth and for everyone else including personal friends I have told them my half truth till i feel comfortable telling them.  

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

Valerie G.
on 3/11/15 7:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Concealing the truth is professional suicide.  The last thing you want at work is to be considered a liar or one lacking integrity.  You don't have to shout it from the rooftops, but if someone asks, come clean.  Just my opinion.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bikrchk
on 3/16/15 6:02 am

I told my team. There are 14 of us, my friends and entire family. Pretty much stopped short of a Facebook announcement before surgery. Today, I tell anyone who is curious or brings it up in conversation.  It allows me to educate others about obesity and gives me the privilege of mentoring others who are looking for ways to cope.  I'm not afraid that someone will disagree with my decision. I really don't care for their opinion if they're not on my side in this battle for my health. Funny, 'cause I used to be very conflict-averse and almost painfully shy. Hiding behind that fat, I was!  The older I get the more I grow out of it and since getting healthy have gained the confidence to take on the conversation even with an opposing view.  Being honest has actually been a great gift!

Sweat is fat crying

suzygreenberg
on 3/17/15 9:24 am - Canada

Thanks everyone for all the responses, it was nice to see such a variety of experiences.  

Update:  I've taken the quiet route and have only told those coworkers I'm very close with and my director.  I work in the health field and privacy is always important, so I thought, heck this applies.  If I had any other procedure, I wouldn't be going around telling everyone I meet with so this shouldn't be much different.  Unless someone asks (and assuming I know them well enough for them to feel comfortable to even bring it up), I will tell them (advice from a coworker who had the procedure 5 years ago), "I am healthy, happy and made big changes.  Nothing to worry about".  Or something like that. ;)

Two days until surgery date!  

I'm blogging about my journey, in the only way I know how to - with a lot of humour and a little potty mouth

shakesandspanx.blogspot.ca