gastric sleeve covered by insurance?

powelljw
on 3/8/15 1:24 pm

I really want to have the gastric sleeve surgery. however, I'm not sure if BCBSLA will cover it. I have a bronze plan. does anybody know? I'm well over a hundred pounds overweight.

Cathy W.
on 3/9/15 12:50 am

The best thing to do is to call the number on the back of your card to see if they cover it.  If they do, ask for a list of bariatric surgeons in your area.  

Good luck!

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

powelljw
on 3/9/15 1:21 am

thank you! I did see where some types of BCBSLA pays for some type of surgery. not sure about the sleeve so I was just asking! :)

hollykim
on 3/9/15 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

again,some policies cover the sleeve and some do not. No way for us to know. 

MsBatt
on 3/9/15 3:55 am

Can't tell you what your policy covers, but with a BMI of 54 you also need to be researching the Duodenal Switch. It's a Sleeve plus an intestinal bypass, and it has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 4:58 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Call the number on the back of your insurance card.  Policies vary for different employers.  Nothing is universal regarding coverage for weight loss surgeries.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Alison B.
on 3/9/15 12:14 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

I began researching MNsure (the state-run health insurance exchange) and learned that Minnesota is among the 46 states that chose not to include bariatric surgery in its covered procedures through the Affordable Care Act. Only California, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, and Washington, DC, consider it an essential benefit.

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.