NEWBIE LOOKING FOR ARIEL ORTIZ PATIENTS

Aperk
on 3/7/15 8:29 pm

Hello everyone! I have been reading these forums religiously for the past 5 months so I thought I'd finally post. I live in Japan but as soon as we move back to the states this summer I plan on scheduling VSG with Ariel Ortiz at the OCC. I have been very overweight since I was 5 and now I'm 28. I was always in sports in school and kept busy and the weight never came off. I'm currently 245 which is my highest without being pregnant. Ive been married for 9 years and have 3 kids and and have only gained 7 pounds since high school so yay for that, but I would really like to know what it's like being a normal weight and reading everyone's posts made feel like this surgery could help make it happen. I look forward to using this board for support on my journey :)

****I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT EXPERIENCES WITH ARIEL ORTIZ.

Valerie G.
on 3/7/15 10:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not at all familiar with Dr. Ortiz, but your history stuck a chord with me.  I was overweight since childhood, too, and also an athelete. Add to that a champion dieter and still no results.  Do you really think that eating less will work for you?  Have you had results in your past from dieting? 

I brought this up because wls is not one-size-fits-all and many don't take their own physiology into account.  The gastric bypass and duodenal switch both address your obesity from a capacity as well as a metabolic standpoint.  The duodenal switch has the same stomach as the vsg if it's the pouch that puts you off from the gastric bypass.  It would be worthwhile to learn all you can about these two procedures, their differences, and how they would apply to how you know your body reacts.

Just my two cents.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Aperk
on 3/7/15 10:51 pm

Yes I was able to get some weight off with a low carb diet and exercise. I eat wayyyy to much before I feel full. I feel like the restriction will be a great tool for me. Ive researched Gastric Bypass and DS, but I feel more comfortable going for the GS. I have to make some behavior modifications (eating when I'm bored) but I think that I can work the sleeve. 

Vsg_Carlos
on 3/7/15 11:57 pm, edited 3/7/15 11:58 pm

I went to Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago from tomorrow. The pickup from the airport was a breeze and crossing the border was quick also.

You go straight to the hotel to rest for the night. Your allowed everyday 3 bowls of broth 2 popcicles (these are homemade and are mostly water) and 2 waterbottles a day. Which really you get 3 because they have one in the bathroom for you. The hotel is very nice, nicer than most us hotels. The room is a decent size has a desk and a sitting area. The room is very clean. I moved everything flipped cushions, lifted the martresses, litterally everything and it was spotless. 

the next morning you go to the clinic. The hotel driver will take you. The hospital is right next to a police station although we found TJ to be quite safe. You will stay one night here for your surgery. You will have several tests performed such as ekg, bloodwork and you will meet with the nutritionist. 

Everybody you talk to before you go really works there right down to the online support person she came to my room and talked to me while I waited to go into surgery. 

The surgery went very well the others had hernias which Dr.Ortiz repaired at no additional cost. 

As soon as I got back to my room I was ready to get up and walk however the nurse said it was too soon. I had no pain no gas pain or incition pain I know this is not true for everybody. The others did have some gas pain. I remember when I was able to get up and walk I went straight to the bathroom to see if I really had surgery. Which of course I had. 

The next day you are discharged to rest at the hotel. You are allowed clear liquids. The following day so 2 days after surgery you return and meet with the Doctor for your leak test and asks if you have any question or concerns. Dr. Ortiz does check for leaks before closing your incitions as well. There were 4 others none of them had any leaks either. 

I think he ussually only does 4 a day but he did 5 that day because I made a last minute switch to go with him so they were very accomodating in adding me in For that day. 

You stay in tijuana for 2 more days and you can do sight seeing. I recomend going to the ocean its very pretty. Also revolution avenue for shopping. Just a fyi you agree on a price with the taxi driver before you get in. 

overall I had a great experience as did my peers and we all keep in touch. 

There is also a walmart within walking distance from the hotel and I never once felt unsafe. 

As far as Dr.Ortiz I highly recomend him he has been on the Doctors and has been featured on oprah as well as news stations in California he is very intelligent and full of energy as you will see when he comes to your room to talk to you. 

2 weeks out and 30 lbs down. 10 since surgery 20 from pre op diet. 

I forgot to add I had the sleeve. 

Kathy S.
on 3/8/15 7:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Here is a link to his profile, be sure and check out the reviews....

Ariel Ortiz Lagardere, M.D., F.A.C.S. Bariatric Surgeon - ObesityHelp   DrAriel Ortiz ®, Board Certified medical doctor under Mexican license #2526822 , is a world renowned expert on Lap-Band surgery. Dr. Ortiz trained almost a ... www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-ariel-ortiz-lagardere/

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Aperk
on 3/8/15 12:31 pm

Thank you for your replies!