Opinion on telling others?

Ihearttennis
on 3/9/15 12:44 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I started off not telling but when I was losing so quickly I knew people were questioning how I was doing it. I started off saying I had a hiatal hernia repaired, which was true, and I started working with a nutritionist, which was true.  But when an overweight person would sincerely ask me how because they were inspired I just couldn't keep from telling the whole truth.  Once I told that one person, who was the mother of an acquaintance, I knew my secret was out!  Telling and being open with others turned out to be the best decision for me.  I have received nothing but support and encouragement and have even been the source of inspiration for others to  have WLS. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

bikrchk
on 3/16/15 6:23 am

I tell.  The truth is way easier to keep track of and it has the added benefit of opening the conversation of obesity and its treatments. Being open about it has also afforded me the privilege of being a mentor for others, (I always GET way more than I give in the process). Also, I don't feel like it's fair to let someone go one comparing my weight loss to their own if they're struggling without the same toolset I have. And don't kid yourself, they ARE comparing... "How come she's so successful at this and I can't drop even 5 pounds"?  I've found a toool to help me maintain control, that's how!  Doesn't mean I don't work at it, but I have a stomach the size of an egg!  However, YOU are the one who has to live with the decision. It's not like you can un-tell it once it's out there! You may get haters, I haven't, disagree ers, ya maybe a little but I look at it as an opportunity to educate and grow.  I really don't care if they "agree" with me or not!

Sweat is fat crying