Opinion on telling others?

Doublewide66
on 3/6/15 1:09 am
RNY on 03/13/15

My wife and I have different opinions on wether or not to tell people about my up coming WLS. I prefer not to tell too many people and have told who I want to know already. She feels the more people who know the more support I'll get, I totally understand what she's saying. However I feel that because I am the who is having the surgery it should be up to me who gets to know and who doesn't. Anyone else have this communication issue? 

Valerie G.
on 3/6/15 2:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's the thing.. .the truth is much easier to keep track of.  You don't need to yell it from the rooftops or make crazy announcements, but if someone asks, just respond accordingly.  That way you don't have to remember who knows what.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 3/6/15 3:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It is your body and your medical information so, yes, it is your right to decide. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 3/6/15 3:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

your body. Your choice. Your wife is wrong,more ppl knowing often means more criticism and more ignorant comments about their mothers boyfriends nieces sons dog who had WLS and has soooooooo many problems. 

You don't have to lie simply saying diet and exercise is not untruthful.

poet_kelly
on 3/6/15 5:53 am - OH

Telling people might  mean more criticism, although I told a lot of people and didn't get any criticism. 

His wife is right, though.  If he does not tell people, they won't/can't support him.  You only get support from people that you talk to.

And saying "I'm just dieting and exercising" is untruthful, because that is not all one is doing when one has WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 3/6/15 7:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you misquoted me. I didn't say "just diet and exercise" I said diet and exercise which is not untruthful.

maybe he doesn't need the support of a lot of ppl. I didn't. I told those who had a need to know,period. 

jenorama
on 3/6/15 3:26 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

It's up to you to decide, but I've always been very upfront and told people I had surgery.  I have yet to get a negative response or be told it's the easy way out.  In fact, I've inspired a couple of people to pursue surgery themselves.  :D  

You know the people around you the best and if you don't want to tell your tertiary friends right away, you don't have to.  As long as you feel you're being honest and true to yourself, whatever you decide is fine.

Jen

Doublewide66
on 3/6/15 3:36 am
RNY on 03/13/15

I'm not going to hide the fact that I had WLS. My intent is to tell people if they ask that I had WLS I'm just not the kind of person to offer up free information about myself. Thank you all for your replies. 

crystal M.
on 3/6/15 4:42 am - Joliet, IL

I have been honest to those that ask.  But do not offer up the info.  The funny thing is the only negative responses I usually get is from over weight people.  I chalk it up to either jealousy (because I lost the weight and they want to) or just plain bitterness (not liking other people's good fortune).  Some of my biggest cheerleaders have been the most physically fit.  Which is funny because I thought they would be judging me.  Totally not the case for me. 

poet_kelly
on 3/6/15 5:51 am - OH

No, I didn't have that issue.  I was comfortable telling people and my partner was comfortable with my choice.

I do think it should be up to you.  If you don't want to tell people in order to get their support, that should be up to you.

I just thought it was easier to be up front with people and I didn't feel it was something I needed to hide.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.