Vegetarian/Vegan sources of protein

Chilipepper
on 3/6/15 12:24 am, edited 3/6/15 12:43 am
Okay just do the math figure out what you want you to eat and you need at least 60 to 70 g of protein a day during the losing stage ..if you eat strictly take beans for example refried beans do the math see how many cups of beans it's going to take you to get to that level of protein then look at the carbs they recommend that you be under 40 carbs rest most of us are under 30 carbs a day total carbs minus the fiber and that's how many cups of beans you are going to have to eat that's an awful lot of calories even though they say don't don't worry about calories we all do keep our calories slow during the losing stage stage under 900 and in maintenance around 1100 so it's very hard to maintain a vegan diet with this kind of Weight loss surgery Doctors are very good at cutting but not to good at the nutrition part. Just take the kinds of foods you will want to eat and do the calculations. Carbs will make you gain if you eat to many of them no matter what kind of carbs they are. People walked around for 20 years eating salads and low fat foods and we are the fatest country on earth. Edited for typos. Hard to talk and text.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

frisco
on 3/5/15 10:29 am

I respect anyone's decision to go vegan/vegetarian......my god daughter is a vegetarian for some very solid reasons/beliefs.

The main challenge with a vegan/vegetarian diet and the VSG is that you virtually minimize a major component to the process.

Restriction is that component, restriction happens when the pyloric valve closes and holds food in the sleeve.

Most all the above list of foods don't do much to close the pyloric valve. Most are what we deem as slider foods.

A few tips for the vegans/vegetarians:

- Prepare those foods in it's rawest (raw or way under cooked) and roughest configurations to have any chance at contracting the pyloric valve.

- Measuring food amounts becomes super critical because it will be easier to consume way more quantity because of having much less restriction to rely on.

Vegan/vegetarian food choices tend to be much higher in carbohydrates which is another reason to keep super close tabs on amounts.

Hope this helps...

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/5/15 3:34 pm

Thank you for the information.  I met with the surgeon today and told him about my desire to eat vegetarian/vegan.  He said, "We tell you what to eat for the first three months, the rest you can eat whatever you want except for sweets, liquid calories, bread, pasta, rice, processed foods, and fast food." I told him most of my protein will come from beans and legumes.  He said that was OK and the vegetarian/vegan diet would be a very good way to keep calories under control and get decent nutrition in the long term.  Long term is mostly what I am concerned about, not the first few months.  

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49