Jelatein 20 is my life saver

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 11:00 pm

Every brkfst and evening I have jelatein 20, it has really helped a lot, expensive but for 3 wks it has been worth it

hollykim
on 3/9/15 2:16 am, edited 3/9/15 2:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 9, 2015 at 6:00 AM Pacific Time, maandme wrote:

Every brkfst and evening I have jelatein 20, it has really helped a lot, expensive but for 3 wks it has been worth it

what is the protein. Source?

oh,spelled correctly,Gelatein ,I found the ingredient list. First ingredient is collagen,second ingredient is whey isolate,this. Means there is the most collagen in it. Collagen is great for hair and nails,not so much for muscles. 

Collagen is further down the bio available percentage list,whey isolate is about 98%. 

MsBatt
on 3/9/15 3:53 am

This is an okay thing for the first couple of weeks, but it's NOT a good source of protein. It's made from collagen, which is an incomplete protein, meaning it doesn't supply all the essential amino acids. You need to move on to higher-quality, complete proteins as soon as possible.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 6:04 am

hmmm it was given to us in the hospital, my dr. recommended it and I do get in 2 muscle milk 100 calories each day, I have tuna, ricotta, chicken salad all pureed. I see my dr next Wednesday I will ask. thanks

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 11:10 pm

can you please give me some examples of higher quality protein? thanks

MsBatt
on 3/12/15 8:38 am, edited 3/12/15 8:38 am

If you want to do protein shakes, look for whey isolate as the first ingredient listed. Any animal flesh---meat, poultry, seafood---is a good source of complete proteins, are is dairy products and eggs. There are some plant products, like beans and other legumes, which are also full of protein, but again, it's an incomplete protein, and must be complemented by a different incomplete protein. (Beans and rice, for example. But you don't have to eat them at the same time.) However, most plant protein sources also have a lot of carbs, so while you're in the losing phase you really want to stick with animal sources.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/15 10:53 am

thank you so much for your help.