laxatives

Sanstar
on 3/7/15 9:17 am

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to use a laxative after you have had RYGB.  I am 4 years out, but I try not to use medications and things of that nature.  I am having a BL and want to be as comfortable as possible.  I have been advised that going #2 is sometimes difficult.

Thanks, surgery is this Tuesday.

Poodlemac
on 3/7/15 9:48 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Ask your doctor, but Ive taken miralax and am currently doing Citrucel caps, 3 a day. Works wonders!

Sanstar
on 3/7/15 10:47 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

Ladytazz
on 3/7/15 11:34 pm

I understand about not wanting to have to worry about using the bathroom after surgery.  Even though my surgeon didn't require it I used magnesium citrate to clean myself out.

I am glad I did.  I tend towards constipation anyway and I am glad I had a day or so of not worrying about it.

Long term I use Miralax daily.  You could also take stool softeners and fiber supplements.

Of course, check with your doctor before starting any kind of regiment and before you take magnesium citrate or any other laxative.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sanstar
on 3/8/15 3:58 am

Thanks Ladytazz,

I talked to the Dr office ans they said stool softeners with every pain pill afterwards, and the Magnesium Citrate was a good idea.

Thank you for suggesting it.  Lucky for me the DR called me this morning to see if I was ok and make sure I remembered to eat lightly and nothing after midnight.  I will be eating like a bird and for the first week after, I think I'll stick to shakes and protein Bars.

off to the store to get the Magnesium Citrate.

Thanks Again

Sandy