Freaking out - bypass?!

beckyp0320
on 3/5/15 7:46 am

Good to hear! We're you on insulin? I plan to be strict but I'm sure there will be times I'll want a bite here and there. 

ginhamp
on 3/5/15 8:36 am

Yes, I was on 40 units of Lantus and 1000 mg of metformin.  Immediately after surgery they stopped the Lantus and cut the metformin in half.  Then in January my doc said to discontinue the metformin.  I still test occasionally and all is well.  But I am careful about the carbs.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/5/15 8:45 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Not everyone who has the gastric bypass will suffer from dumping syndrome.  It is the recommended procedure if you have Type 2 diabetes.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/5/15 9:32 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Was in insulin dependent diabetic before my gastric bypass. 

I am now in complete remission and 183 pounds lighter.  All co-morbidities are gone.  BEST THING I EVER DID.  Oh, and I have never dumped.  I have also never eaten anything that would make me dump -- I went into surgery planning to succeed.  The things that would make you dump, you shouldn't eat as a diabetic anyhow.  That said, the majority of people do NOT dump after bypass.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jastypes
on 3/5/15 11:55 pm - Croydon, PA

I had RNY in 2007.  No complications.  Best decision I ever made.  You won't dump if you don't eat sugar.  :-)

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/15 6:33 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi Becky, I'm in the same boat! I've been planning on the sleeve for 3 years, my husband is having the sleeve too, etc., and when I had my surgical consult, he recommended I do RNY instead because of my diabetes and GERD. I initially freaked out about losing my pyloric valve, having a stoma that could stretch, etc., but as I did more research, I started learning that the side effects aren't necessarily less with the sleeve, they're just different. That said, my husband is diabetic too, and he's still planning on having the sleeve. With the sleeve, diabetes resolution is largely an effect of the weight loss and your limited food intake. With the bypass, it's also a mechanism of the surgery itself because of the malabsorptive component. But with significant weight loss, both should get you there in the end. For me, the real motivator to switch was my GERD. Good luck making your decision, and I'm sure you'll do great with either!

MsBatt
on 3/6/15 6:39 am

Have you researched a procedure called the Duodenal Switch? It has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass, and it has the VERY BEST stats for resolving diabetes---better than 98% achieve total remission. The RNY/gastric bypass gives total remissions for about 85% of diabetics, in comparison. (I've not read any stats for the Sleeve.) The DS also has the very best stats for long-term, maintained weight loss.

Because the pylorus is preserved, dumping is extremely rare with the DS. About one-third of RNY patients dump occasionally.