I don't think I really wanna talk about it!

shakeitoff
on 3/6/15 1:22 pm
VSG on 03/09/15

I tried to post this from my phone and it disappeared.  So if it on here twice I apologize.

My VSG surgery is Monday.  This morning my mom starts messaging me all kinds of questions. How do you feel?  did you change your mind?  are you sure? aren't you hungry?  yada yada yada...  I answered politely and changed the subject.  I made my mind up months ago or I wouldn't be having surgery on Monday!  I feel like if I just don't keep talking to people who are doubting if I should or should not do the surgery it will stress me out.  I am so glad I did not share my decision with a lot of people.  If I could go and have the surgery and no one knew I would have been so much better off.  Seems it is not me so much having doubts as my mom and possibly my husband.  They are so concerned when I will eat "normal" food again.  Why does it matter?  I am not starving, nor am I complaining.

My biggest fear is  re-gain.  The posts where people say I'm starting to gain again... kinda of scare me.   Exercise and watching what I put in my mouth are the key  I know that. 

I just  never thought I would have this feeling of wanting to be left alone.  I was worried a while back no one had noticed my weight loss.  Now after this week I am hoping they don't say anything for a long time.    I have a feeling I will be saying "I don't really wanna talk about it!" quite a lot. 

Anyone else feel this way prior to surgery?

Mary Gee
on 3/6/15 1:39 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
You are doing what is best for you - my boyfriend was opposed to the surgery, but I kept telling him my mind was made up - period. Now he is glad I went forward. I told him I was doing it to improve my health. I am sure your mother and husband will come around when they see you doing well and feeling better. ............ In regard to regain, it's something we all have to battle. Hopefully you and I will develop good habit which will help us slay that dragon. ............. Good luck on Monday. You will be so happy to be on the Losers' Bench!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NYMom222
on 3/6/15 3:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They will probably come around, they are just scared for you. Face it surgery is always a little scary. Here is a great article that posted recently on bariatric eating. I think part of it long term, is you have to stay focused. Not forget where you came from. Good Luck on your surgery.

http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/03/02/top-10-bariatric-p ost-op-mistakes/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Poodlemac
on 3/6/15 6:36 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I felt the same way. I didn't want to talk, or think about surgery before hand. As a young girl, I remember Scarlett Ohara saying, "oh, I'll think about that tomorrow" and adapted that as my life's motto!  Sometimes it's a good motto!!  If I don't think/talk about it, it will happen as it should!  It sounds like you'll have some good support post surgery and you sound determined to make this work. It's worth it!!  You'll do fine!  I look forward to your post surgery updates!  Hang in there!!

White Dove
on 3/6/15 9:02 pm - Warren, OH

Your husband and mother may not be your support system, but make sure you have people that you do want to talk about the surgery with.  I found my support group invaluable. 

It also was very helpful that everyone I was around knew that I had the surgery and that they were watching every bite that I put into my mouth.  My food police were a great asset when I felt like justifying a piece of cake or candy.  They kept me aware all of the time.

Regain did not scare me in the least, because I was sure that it would not happen to me.  When it did, I had a new and very difficult fight to overcome it.  Some people made it pretty clear that they were delighted to see me "getting fat again". Part of my success has been my determination to not let them have that last laugh.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

iwantthis
on 3/6/15 11:14 pm - Canada

Im the same why i have told one of my friends and that is because  she has dun the wls i just recently told my selected family  about it and thats only because  i got a my orientation date so i guess it was only right to tell my mom lol but i dont do well with yo many options  when i already have hundreds  of voice in my head of my own

GenieR
on 3/7/15 2:09 am, edited 3/7/15 2:11 am

Dear Shakeitoff, I'm sorry what you are going through but at the same time glad to hear your story because I am going through the same thing with my boyfriend. I am getting so sick of it that I could scream. I have researched WLS for about 5 years & I allowed peoples views to scare me out of having the surgery twice making up other excuses like I couldn't afford to have it done; so that they didn't know they had gotten to me.  My boyfriend says I'm the kind of person that gets really excited about something and then loses interest in it soon after but that is not true that is his way of seeing things he does not know what is really going on anyway. His thinking is: First I am going to have this surgery and I'm all excited now but I'll get bored with it down the road and realize I stuck with this new life. DAH I know what I'm doing I am  not doing this surgery to lose weight first of all, I'm doing it for health issues, the weight loss is the cherry on top of the cake: sorry no more cake or cherry. Second, he's afraid I'm going to gain the weight back because he doesn't believe I have the willpower to do this for the rest of my life. Third, he's worried about my skin sagging. Fourth and most, if I have this surgery and have to eat differently will I still be able to cook for him. Since I have been dieting getting ready for surgery I have no desire for food, so when he asks me what's for supper I'll say what do you want because I have no idea I'm not interested in what you are? He gets mad at me. Also, my friends at Church are so excited at Church about my weight loss so far and are so supportive of my surgery and every week ask me when my surgery is; then in the car home I'm asked so you're going through with the surgery? It's hard when the loved ones you want & figure should be your support are not but I have now decided I am doing this for ME and nobody else and if he can't be supportive than he can just shut his mouth. I do not want to hear anymore negative words out of his mouth I have had 5 years of them. So, I think you should also just listen to your heart and only the positive people & thoughts, pray to God to keep the negative away from you through your journey since our journey will be hard enough, that's what I am going to do. AMEN

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/15 2:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Moms worry about their kids, I'm pretty sure it's genetic. Hopefully she just wants you to be happy and just wants to be sure you've thought things true... and doesn't realize that she's driving you bonkers. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/7/15 3:45 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Yep, moms are worry warts, the gene stays dormant till the kid comes & then it's active for life! Stay on course, they'll settle down once they see you have this in the bag. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/