Stall(s)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/5/15 8:51 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You will discover that weight loss is more in a stair step pattern instead of a straight linear decline.   Many times you will lose inches during the time that your body is in what you consider "stall" mode.  Most people have a more realistic interpretation of what "stall" means.  Even if you "barely" lose anything, you're still losing weight.

You will never lose as much weight as you do in the first month or two.  Stay on your program and the weight will still come off.  It's not a sprint.  You didn't gain the weight in a short period of time so it's going to take longer to lose it.

Hang in there.  You'll drive yourself  if you measure your success by a daily number on a scale. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

dancerchick06
on 3/5/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 01/07/15

Thank you. That is good advice. I didn't define my stall, my surgeon did. I think I need to revisit what I believe is a stall when I am looking at all these answers.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/5/15 9:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 5, 2015 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, Sarah P. wrote:

Wow,

Y'all are harsh. I should have been more clear. I have had stalls, 2-4 weeks where I haven't lost barely anything, when I do lose now, I lose half a pound a day. I used to lose a couple pounds a day. Secondly, I eat BOILED CHICKEN (protein) and veggis during the day. I drink only water. I eat crackers randomly, which I was told was okay, for a difference in taste and something different. It was a shock to me to have lost so much a day and have that cut in to a fourth now. That's my question. 

-S

Color me confused. If you're 8 weeks out from surgery, you've had 4 periods without loss, which would end up being about a month?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dancerchick06
on 3/5/15 12:45 pm
RNY on 01/07/15

Yes. Between 2-4 weeks off and on where I don't lose anything. I have lost 45 pounds since surgery. 80-90% of that in the first month. Jan 2014 is where I weighed 280. My surgery weight was 259.

-S

Willie H.
on 3/6/15 5:09 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I am just a little past 6 months and I lost most of my weight the first few months-the first two to be exact. The two months after that it was slow-crawling but at least consistent-about 2-3 lbs a week. The last 2 months I've lost 9 pounds total, about 1 lb a week. Yes, I was worried and concerned but I also realize that I was losing inches. One Dr on YouTube says that "stalls are necessary and good for the body". It allows your body to adapt to the rapid weight loss, also to reapportion muscle and fat in your body especially if one is going to the gym and working out. I admit losing a lot in the first couple months gave me very high expectations! I thought at this time I would be 20-25 lbs lighter than I am now even though many told me to expect slower weight loss as I got farther away from my surgery. Hey, I had 140 lbs to lose, I've lost about 85 lbs. The VSG i think is supposed to help us lose about 55-65 % of the weight we need to lose so I'm happy where I am and I realize that the tool (surgery) did it's job, now it is up to me. It may be slow form here but that is helpful as I embark on a new lifestyle enjoying being healthy, enjoying making good decisions as far as what to eat, how to be active, how to handle stress and basically how to live life. Also losing slowing is allowing my skin to bounce back. So just hang in there and enjoy the journey. And don't think others are being harsh-they are not. They are being realistic. They've been there, they've done that. Hang in there-wish you well! 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 6:55 am

I was short with my answer. When I look at my plan they had white bread to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I just know some of the things that are in my plan should not be and I have questioned my doctor about it. 

Best wishes on your journey. A lot of time things sound harsh but they are just direct and to the point. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/5/15 3:35 pm - UK

No-one intends to be harsh. We are all just trying to reassure you that there is no current problem and warn that there will be real stalls along the way. I am a scale addict and weigh every time I see a set! But that's not a problem because it doesn't worry me. I always knew that if I ate as I was supposed to, the weight would go. How long it took actually didn't matter. People who are worried by numbers and speed are sensible to avoid weighing! And many do. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,