Stall(s)

dancerchick06
on 3/5/15 2:36 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I just wanted to ask a quick question.  I am usually eating veggis and boiled chicken most days and will add come crackers in for the taste.  I have been through 4 stalls now since surgery on January 7. I have lost 45 pounds but for the past couple weeks, I will only lose (maybe) half a pound a day if I am lucky. Sometimes I increase by a 1/4 of a pound. I am struggling with this, especially because I am going hard at the gym pretty regularly.  Any advice on a jump start?

-S

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 2:52 am

Protein first then veggie. I would take the crackers out your meals.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/5/15 3:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Loss does slow down a bit as your body gets used to surgery. Weight can vary from day to day based on water, ToM, and normal fluctuation.

You say you've had 4 stalls since January-- what do you consider a "stall?" My surgeon's definition is 4 weeks with no loss or change in measurements. Do you mean that you've had four weeks since January where the scale hasn't moved?

Also, skip the crackers. Protein first and as few carbs as you can manage; most folks here keep carbs below 30 - 40g during the loss phase. Veggies only after you've had your lean protein.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/5/15 3:30 am - UK

1/2 a pound a day is NOT a stall!! A month with no loss at all might be!! 1/2 lb a day is a steady loss. And you very probably will have times with no loss, but 45lb since Jsnuary is hardly slow! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 3/5/15 3:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I agree that a half pound a day is nothing close to a stall.  To save your sanity - just kick your scale under your bed, then only weight yourself on the same day, same time, every week to get a true account of your progress.

In other words - don't let the scale control your day's mood.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dancerchick06
on 3/5/15 6:10 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I will do that! Thank you for the advice!

Mary Gee
on 3/5/15 5:09 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
That's what you call a stall? Wait till you experience a real stall.....no weight loss for a few weeks. 45 pounds to date is good.... What were your expectations? And crackers? First protein, then veggies.......

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NHPOD9
on 3/5/15 5:50 am

You've lost 45lbs in 58 days.

Be proud of your accomplishment. You seem to be doing exceedingly well. I'm not sure why you have such anxiety. Were  you told you'd lose more?

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

dancerchick06
on 3/5/15 6:09 am
RNY on 01/07/15

Wow,

Y'all are harsh. I should have been more clear. I have had stalls, 2-4 weeks where I haven't lost barely anything, when I do lose now, I lose half a pound a day. I used to lose a couple pounds a day. Secondly, I eat BOILED CHICKEN (protein) and veggis during the day. I drink only water. I eat crackers randomly, which I was told was okay, for a difference in taste and something different. It was a shock to me to have lost so much a day and have that cut in to a fourth now. That's my question. 

-S

RNY on 12/22/14

I don't think people mean to be harsh.  They are trying to help you be realistic and asking if your surgeon told you that you should be losing more quickly.  I had surgery 2 weeks before you did.  I've lost 40 pounds since surgery, and both my surgeon and I are ecstatic with my progress.  He also prepped me for a stall - a month or more with no weight loss (but I am still enjoying the honeymoon phase where everything goes well, so I am not courting trouble).  I do not weigh myself more than weekly - I had the surgery to eliminate the tyranny of the scale.  

Your surgeon would be best resource to gauge if your level of concern is appropriate to your progress, or your perception of lack thereof.  (For what it's worth, it seems that the OH peanut gallery is telling you that you are making good progress.)

Hang in there, 

Sharon