When and how much do I need to tell my employer about my intended weight loss surgery?

Alison B.
on 2/28/15 5:02 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

I am planning to have WLS: I meet the requirements and my employer-provided health insurance will cover the procedure. I'm in the process of completing the behavioral weight management sessions, which should take close to three months. My question is this: when and how much do I need to tell my employer about my intended surgery? I will need to arrange for time off work, and I've only had the job since mid-December. I have a serious health condition; it's not as if I'll be off enjoying myself in the Bahamas. Do I need to explain the kind of surgery I'm planning to have (I'm kind of a private person), or is telling my supervisor/co-workers that I'll be scheduled for surgery (when I actually have a date) and will require xx number of weeks off to allow for recovery adequate? I work FT from home, so I don't come face-to-face with my supervisor/co-workers daily; I wouldn't have to explain any sudden, drastic weight loss.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

KathyA999
on 2/28/15 5:53 am

...that second thing.  You do not owe your employer or co-worker details about the type of procedure. Your only obligation, work-wise, is to make your absence as workable as you can - giving plenty of notice, arranging an alternate if any projects need moving along while you're out, etc.  I did tell my supervisor (although I didn't have to), and did tell her she was the only one I was telling.  Coworkers got the "surgery" story but not what type of surgery.  I found out much later that one coworker thought I was having knee surgery. No idea why she thought that, other than I had knee pain issues, I guess I must have talked about it in the months leading up to surgery.

I worked in the office at the time, but often would work from home here and there.  After I got home from my surgery, on a Thursday, I took the following full week off, then worked from home for another week, then went back to the office.  (Wish I had worked from home FT back then, I do now and I love it!)

Good luck!  My own surgery was completely free of problems - no complications, no foaming or vomiting, no food intolerances, etc.  (Did have epic constipation, which was the result of drinking the liquid Lortab a few times when I got home, not for pain but just because I liked how it made me feel. Don't do that.)  I wish the same for you.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Alison B.
on 3/1/15 7:13 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

Thank you, Kathy. I hope my surgery (when it finally happens) goes as well as yours did.

Alison

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

vdubmomma
on 2/28/15 6:09 am
VSG on 12/31/14

I did not tell anyone at work what surgery I was having.  Just that I was having surgery and would be out for 2-6 weeks.  I kept my boss posted on my returning to work.  However, there is no obligation to tell your employer what you are having done.   I'm a private person also and did not want to tell people about my surgery, still don't.  :)

Alison B.
on 3/1/15 7:15 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

Thank you for your response. You gave your employer range of 2-6 weeks: do you mind me asking how much time you spent recovering before you returned?

Alison

vdubmomma
on 3/3/15 7:24 am
VSG on 12/31/14

I spent 4 weeks recovering before returning.   I really didn't have any pain after a week, but was so tired.  My surgeon recommended taking 2 additional weeks at my 2 week check up.  

Alison B.
on 3/3/15 8:11 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

You are making amazing progress! 

Melanielw
on 2/28/15 8:06 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I would tell them that you are having surgery and need XX amount of time off. That seems sufficient to me. 

Alison B.
on 3/1/15 7:16 am - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

Thank you, Melanie. That definitely seems to be the consensus based on the responses I've received.

Alison

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/15 8:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There is zero reason for them to know what surgery you're having. For all they care, you're having your knee replaced! "I'll be out for two weeks and back on suchandsuch date." That's it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!