Struggle with clothes...

Thebiggestloser
on 3/1/15 12:24 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I am down 5 sizes and today I finally cleaned out the closet of things that don't fit. This should be a happy time but instead I am sad. All I see are $$$$. What is wrong with me?!?! Did you feel this way? Will this get easier???

jenorama
on 3/1/15 1:01 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

It's bittersweet, for sure! You're getting rid of outfits you loved for uncharted territory. I've found thrift stores, outlets and TJ Maxx/Marshall's to be great resources for new, inexpensive things. I myself haven't looked at consignment shops, but a lot of folks say you can find high-quality things at them. 

Take a friend with you and make a day out!

Jen

SandyB_in_CA
on 3/1/15 1:51 am
VSG on 10/20/14

I never had a lot of nice clothes... I worked way too much, so mostly scrubs.. Which by the way, I am still wearing and they are ready to fall off. Finally broke down and bought smaller ones just last week. As for clothes for home. I have bought some workout wear and a few tshirts. Went thru a box of old clothes that I forgotten I had and some of the stuff fits for now. I feel as I am totally protesting buying new stuff when it wont fit right in a month. But I too need to still get rid of stuff, just don't want to throw it away.

I hope it gets easier...

Loser2542
on 3/1/15 2:48 am

While I am looking forward to the cold weather ending, I am dreading the start of another season. It just means I will have to go shopping again. I don't think I will be able to get away with wearing my 5x blouses like I did last summer.

So, yes, I do feel the same way. However, I still would rather shop than be the 189 pounds heavier that was when I started.

Monica

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

White Dove
on 3/1/15 3:21 am - Warren, OH

I took all my nice things to a consignment shop and they sold them for me.  Then I used the money to buy nice things in smaller sizes.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

helionoftroy
on 3/1/15 3:29 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

If the money part is what's making you sad then sell the cloths! You can have a yard sell or post them on Facebook. You may be surprised by the favorable response, make a few dollars, and help someone who needs good stuff cheap. Where I live there are several "For sale in ........" Sites. 

JennyMcC
on 3/1/15 4:21 am
VSG on 02/25/15

Ditto on sell the good things you have at consignment and then buy NEW at consignment also.  (Sometimes if you buy and sell at the same place they give a better 'deal')  If you are still in the 'losing' phase just get a few pieces to 'get you thru' temporarily.   Do you attend support group meetings?  Some of them have 'clothing swaps' where members bring clothes that no longer fit to 'exchange' for their current size.  I know it was already mentioned, but TJ maxx,  Goodwill, even Salvation Army shops could be a good resource.   I wonder if there is an emotional attachment to some of the things you are now 'letting go' of .    Its something worth thinking about.  Letting go of something that has been a 'go to' outfit while you were the OLD you.  Good luck and congratulations on getting HEALTHIER!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/1/15 5:13 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I definitely understand the $$$$. I thought I had every size in jeans in my closet only to find there was 1 size I didn't have, went out & bought 2 pair & am now moving towards the smaller size & I kept thinking I just bought these!, they aren't even a couple of months old! Then there were the clothes I was waiting to fit, forgot them, then blew past the size.

It's bittersweet to get rid of the clothes. I donate mine & hope they find a new home somewhere else. I can feel good about that at least.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Valerie G.
on 3/1/15 6:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had a couple of favorite outfits that made me so sad to say goodbye to.  As for the $$$$$$$, it's time to start scoping out thrift and consignment stores in your area or the nearest ritzy neighborhood.  The consignment stores will sell the clothes you shrunk out of and you can use your proceeds to buy new sizes.  I got into this circuit to the point that I could replace my entire wardrobe for less than $100 out of pocket each time.  The only thing I bought new was bras and panties, cuz...ewww.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/15 8:29 pm

I couldn't wait to get rid of my old clothes. I have heard some people sell their plus size clothes and make a lot of money on them. 

I shop clearance in most stores. Walmart has some great sales. I got 4 pairs of pants for thirty dollars yesterday. I also got three sweaters at Kohls for 21 dollars that was a steal.

I wish when I was losing the weight fast I didn't buy so many clothes. I ended up giving so many away that had tags on them.