Just A warning i wished i received before i lost my mother in law

Candy A.
on 3/2/15 11:32 am

ok. my opinion is that some of these replies are hostile towards the OP. I respect that you disagree. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/2/15 10:29 pm - UK
On March 2, 2015 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, Candy A. wrote:

why  don't you re-read the tone and content of some of the responses and ask again

I think part of the reaction is due to the fact that people need to be very sure before publishing a libellous comment. she is basically accusing a named doctor of being incompetent to such an extent that his patient died. When people are upset, it is easy to push the blame on to one person.  But this is an experienced doctor with no official complaints against him and it is presented as fact not opinion. Dangerous! And very possibly very unfair! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Chilipepper
on 3/2/15 11:27 am

Since "Candy" has only has 2 posts in her posting history and they are both on this thread.  I suspect a troll account. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Candy A.
on 3/2/15 11:31 am, edited 3/2/15 11:32 am

interesting analysis... i don't live on this site. i read a lot and post minimally and i do have more than 2 posts over my time on this site. but if you interpret a message to the op offering my condolences as trolling then you're entitled to think that. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/2/15 11:41 pm, edited 3/2/15 11:41 pm - UK

deieted - pointless post!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/2/15 4:40 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Regardless of the cir****tances I am sorry for your loss.  That must be very hard for you and your family.

I think that you should reconsider your title of this post as it is misleading and quite inflammatory.  Your MIL seems to have died from improperly treated infections resulting from her elective surgery.  Any surgery might have brought on this result - it is irrelevant that it was bypass or sleeve or some other surgery.  Blaming WLS is unfair and scares needlessly other folks here doing researching WLS. All surgical procedures come with risks and people do die from complications unfortunately.  There are no guarantees.

A lot of what you are saying seems hard to fathom but that doesn't mean it isn't true.  But it seems quite unfair to place the blame of her death solely on the surgeon and his supposed absence.  Others should have been involved when this one surgeon didn't respond appropriately or in a timely fashion.  Where was the PCP?  Why wasn't she taken to an out patient clinic or the ER?  Two weeks post-op before she was treated for problems seems like a long time to me for her to be in such a state.

Again, I am sorry for your loss but I think it is unfair what you are implying in your original post.  Any surgery could have brought on this result and given her cir****tances it seems like this was a likely outcome regardless of the procedure she chose.  It is tragic for you and your family but WLS isn't to blame in my opinion based on what you've said here.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Gina 22 years out
on 3/2/15 11:59 pm - Burleson, TX

ASHLEY---beautifully said !

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/3/15 12:28 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Hislady
on 3/3/15 5:51 am - Vancouver, WA

Well put. It is awful if true ( I still don't buy it) but it is also cruel to falsely accuse the surgeon of something he may have had no knowledge of. If he was gone how could he address it. If she has to blame someone then maybe she needs to look at the father in law and sometime stuff just happens when you have abused your body for decades. You are nicer than I am!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/3/15 6:09 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^^  What Ashley said.  I'm very sorry for your loss, but it sounds like there were other factors in play.  It still doesn't ease your grief and for that I am truly sorry.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220