Just A warning i wished i received before i lost my mother in law

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 6:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Pacific Time, daisymae182000 wrote:

I didnt just let her lay around. I live an hour and a half away from her and my father in law. My father in law ensured us that everything was ok and when we knew she needed treatment we took her up there to the hospital ourselves. As far as i know she did get her clearance from the doctors, obviously or they wouldnt do it. We told her all along the way not to do it. She was upset thinking we didnt support her. We all knew she wasnt healthy enough for this but she was convinced it would solve all of her problems. What i have read and heard about this doctor was all the same. Hes a butcher. The nurses i work with also have worked MRMC with him and told me the same thing. Now that shes gone and her memorial service is sunday we plan to hire a lawyer. Not for money but to have him disciplined. This was preventable and if my story saves someone else's life then i did my job

There are plenty of reviews of him on OH, and the ones I see are very positive. (Also 27 ratings elsewhere.) A few very strongly worded ones, but they seem to stick out among others. Hmmmm...

Not sure how everything you read could be "all the same" when the bad stories seem to make up a small percentage of available information.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chilipepper
on 3/2/15 6:39 am

Sounds like a disgruntled acquaintance.  The ones that stick out are obsurdley worded

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Hislady
on 3/2/15 5:37 am - Vancouver, WA

I don't buy this either because I actually have COPD and only a moderate case at that but it takes heaven and earth to move before I can have any surgery. Not only does the surgeon have to approve you but so does the anesthesiologist and you would be hard pressed to find a surgeon AND an anesthesiologist who would agree to risk their licenses just to do an elective surgery like a gastric bypass. There are other surgeries they would do first like a sleeve or a lapband. That is one reason I was stuck with a lap band because the surgeon didn't want to risk damaging my lungs. Most of the time the surgeon and anesthesiologist work for different people, the surgeons work for one group and the anesthesiologists work for another group or for the hospital. There are just too many holes in this story, either you misunderstood the situation or there is something very wrong with this story.

robinreinhardt
on 3/2/15 6:36 am

Daisy,

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for warning everyone about this.

Robin

Gina 22 years out
on 3/2/15 7:40 am - Burleson, TX

DAISYMAE---let me add another thing, that only a post op WLS person could possibly understand:

When surfers drown, riding a huge wave...

When trick motorcyclists die, jumping over 20 cars or the Grand Canyon...

When an obese person dies, after finally having the ONE thing they are just SO sure is going to solve ALL their problems...

Then they died doing what they WANTED to do...

I had written that, in a letter, to be opened, in the event I did not live thru my WLS. I wanted my family and friends to know the surgery was MY choice, and to NEVER blame themselves, or anyone else.

It is obvious your MIL desperately wanted WLS

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/2/15 10:35 am - OH

I am very sorry about your loss, but NO doctor is going to guarantee that someone who has health issues is going to live a long life and be free of any complications and "magically better".  One surgeon already refused to do the surgery, yet she insisted on finding someone who was willing to take a chance and do it.  Unfortunately, by signing the surgical consent, she was consenting to taking the chance.  As others have pointed out, your FIL should have taken her to the ER!  Why did he do nothing other than try to reach one doctor by phone?  (Also, as someone else already said, NO surgeon provides NO backup when they are gone for an extended period of time. No one.)

I understand that you are upset, and that these are your perceptions of what has happened, but some things just don't make sense in the way you have presented them.  Ultimately, though, your MIL sought out a second surgeon when she didn't like the fact that the first surgeon said it could kill her.  For all you know, even the second doctor may have warned her...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Candy A.
on 3/2/15 10:58 am, edited 3/2/15 11:23 am

Wow. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother in law. It is quite unfortunate when ourselves or our loved ones become the small percentage of cases that do not go well. I know that often when doctors are selling the surgery they can indeed minimize the actual risks. And yes, it's our responsibility to do our research and be fully aware of our risks, however, it is quite easy to overlook them when we see and hear of so many success stories. I am so sorry that the gut reaction of some of the users here is to attack you, your mother in law, and even blame your father in law rather than swallow the possibility that something associated with the surgery could have possibly gone wrong. I just want to offer my deep condolences and support. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. Thank you for making us aware of this case. Even if some doubt your account, some will look at it and be prompted to research more and/or think more carefully about the surgery. 

on 3/2/15 11:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

How on earth is questioning the poster's facts "attacking" her?

Candy A.
on 3/2/15 11:22 am, edited 3/2/15 11:23 am

why  don't you re-read the tone and content of some of the responses and ask again

on 3/2/15 11:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just did. And I'll ask again. 

There's a big difference between questioning someone's story and "attacking" them as a person. Nobody is calling OP a liar or calling her stupid, rather they're questioning the facts presented.