A gravy recipe?

DelilahJO
on 2/28/15 11:42 am

If you have a healthy gravy recipe please share with me! I am thinking to simply sub the flour for my protein powder? I simply don't know how well that thought will fair me. Lol I don't do flour of Any type:  regular, coconut, almond etc none of it. Thanks for any input 

Pokemom
on 2/28/15 12:40 pm, edited 2/28/15 12:40 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

A couple of ideas:

Sometimes on Sundays, my gourmet husband makes a roast.  He puts lots of vegetables in with it to cook, like onions and celery. Then, when he makes the gravy, he purées the vegetables into the gravy.  He does use additional broth and flour to make the gravy.  However, I think that you could use just use broth and soft-cooked vegetables, like sautéed onions.  Purée the onions into the broth, and this will thicken it up.  It would be like a thick soup.  You could add herbs, etc, for flavor. You said you do not use flour, but if you use potato at all, you could cook a small amount of potato to puree into this kind of "gravy."

Second idea: Again, the gourmet husband often makes a pan sauce.  He uses broth, plus whatever juices are left from browning the meat, then he cooks it down a long time on a simmer.  You can boil off half the water content, for example.  This creates a nice, flavorful sauce with a lot of body. It is not as thick as a gravy, but can be used the same way.

i do this kind of stuff too, but probably would never have learned to do it without the hub!

mia97478
on 2/28/15 12:59 pm

My best friend uses cornstarch instead of flour in her gravy. Tastes great to me. 

Dr. Colin MacColl, Springfield Oregon- pending surgery

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/28/15 5:45 pm, edited 2/28/15 5:45 pm

Corn starch and potato starch can be substituted for flour in gravy.  I prefer corn starch gravy to flour gravy.  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_gravy/  or http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2012/11/20/how-to-ma ke-gluten-free-gravy/  I use potato starch during Passover and it's easy to find in most supermarkets where there's a large Jewish population, look in the kosher section of the grocery store.  I only look for it shortly before Passover so I don't know if it is available all year round.  I use corn starch the rest of the year.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

White Dove
on 2/28/15 11:48 pm - Warren, OH

I do not keep any kind of flour in my house, but use McCormicks Au Jus packets for a very light gravy with beef.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

shellp55
on 3/1/15 1:24 am

Though not gravy per se, the Swiss Chalet Dipping sauce is very low in calories and fat...so maybe their gravy packs too?

Hislady
on 3/1/15 7:52 am - Vancouver, WA

I've used a couple of ways for more of a sauce than a gravy, mine is always thin not thick but it helps the food slide down easier. If I am cooking meat I just use the pan juices and some broth for sauce. I also sometimes use Italian salad dressing or vinegar and oil dressing to add a little flavor to some broth if I want some sauce for a meat that doesn't have much juice to it or to put on veggies for a different flavor. Sometimes you just have to experiment with different things and see what comes up!