Looking for Help....cannot stomach the protein drinks...won't stay down.

NorthernBeauty
on 2/24/15 10:33 am - Canada

I am three weeks post op VSG and I am having a real problem.... consistency of food is really tricky on whether I will keep it down.  I know I am not getting enough protein and have tried repeatedly to drink the protein drinks. I have had to puree fish and chicken to at least get some protein down. I also have been eating quinoa.   Wondering if anyone else had problems eating and drinking due to consistency and what they tried .  

healthy-rickfan1971
on 2/24/15 12:01 pm

I had the hardest problem with finding protein shake that I could tolerate. I tried no less than 10 different ones. I would make them with water on the first try because it gives the best calorie count that way. I found none that I tolerate with water. So I tried with the skim milk. I could keep one or 2 in that way, but that always brought the calorie and carb count WAY over my doctors suggested 200 calorie limit on shakes. I switched to Light Vanilla Silk (soy) milk which had a bit better calorie count per serving and only 2 grams less of protein per 8 ounces. I finally settled on Unsweet vanilla Almond milk for my protein shakes because they already have a good amount of protein in them (I ended up with GNC Lean Shake 25 which has 25 grams of protein per scoop and with 8 ounces of Unsweet Vanilla Almond Milk at 30 calories per 8 ounces and 2 grams of protein, it is not TOO much over the recommended calorie count. And I actually LOVE the orange mix with it. To me it tastes just like the orange push pop ice creamy taste) So my suggestion is the same as my surgeons, try different brands prepared differently and find one that works for you. Many of them have sample sizes or the ready to drink kind. Even though those and the mixes do vary in flavor once prepared. There are different bariatric sites that have recipes for shakes that you can do to help find one you can stomach. Bariatric eating is one. The world according to Eggface is another. Bariatric foodie is another. Check some out and just go crazy trying the different recipes and bronds of mixes. There must be at least 1 that will work for you.

NYMom222
on 2/24/15 1:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I know I had a problem at about 5 weeks stomaching the shakes. Switching to Click and Fit frappe that are coffee flavored got me through. Some protein shakes too I don't like made in a blender because they get too gummy thick. Syntrax has non shake flavors of protein like Ice tea. I also use genepro unflavored protein powder (buy on Amazon). Quinoa is really more a starch than a protein. If you are eating 1/4 cup cooked Quinoa it has 10g carbs and only 2g protein. Not a significant source. The Ready-to-drink Premier protein shakes have a thinner consistency and can be easier to get down. I take the chocolate one, put it in a 16oz travel cup with a lid and a little ice. I add a squirt of U-bet SF chocolate syrup and about 1/3 of a packet of VIA instant coffee, and shake. Or you can add SF Torani syrups. Added hazelnut to the chocolate the other day, it was pretty good.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sarah M.
on 2/24/15 7:24 pm - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

You recommended Genepro to me a few weeks ago - it's amazing!  My protein counts are so much better!  I really appreciate your help!!  Thank you!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Mary Gee
on 2/24/15 6:33 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
A few things..... You should buy samples of different drinks. The coffee and fruit nectars are the ones I enjoy. Also, I stir my drinks - blending or shaking makes them too thick and foamy. ..... Quiona has a lot of carbs and not much protein; would stick with protein shakes, meat, fish, yogurt and cheeses. ......... Good luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NHPOD9
on 2/24/15 9:03 pm

Have you tried mixing the unflavored protein in soft foods? Due to an undiagnosed stricture, I couldn't tolerate dense food for months. I lived off applesauce, puddings, and soft cheeses mixed with protein powder.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/24/15 9:45 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Isopure makes a bottled protein that is easy to drink.it is expensive but each bottle has 40 grams of protein.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/24/15 11:03 pm

at three weeks out I was still on liquids - mostly clear. I lived on syntrax nectars. even "shake" protein drinks mixed with water were too thick for me.

this is temporary

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

mamata2
on 2/25/15 2:23 am

I second the Isopure Ready to Drinks.  a couple of weeks after surgery I could not tolerate any milk/soy/almond based drinks.  But the Isopure is more of a Kool-Aid texture and flavor and it went down so much better.  almost 8 months out, I am able to tolerate traditional shakes better but I still enjoy an Isopure once in a while.  They are expensive but worth it if you can't tolerate anything else.  FWIW, Apple Melon is my favorite flavor and you can get them at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. 

siberiancat
on 2/25/15 4:11 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Have you tried protein ice cream?  go to: www.theworldaccordingtoeggface

and look at her recipes.  I spent hundreds of dollars the first year after my RNY to find protein powders/drinks I could tolerate and then about year 3 - I changed tastes again.  I still used powdered protein (Bluebonnet and Click brands) daily and keep a liquid protein in indiviaual bottles called "ProJoe" at home and work.

It is frustrating and costly but eventually you can find a way to get your protein in.  FOR ME it is hot protein drinks, protein ice cream, prepackaged bottled protein and protein powder in unflavored greek yogurt with sugar free syrups and fresh diced fruit. or pumpkin puree.

Don't give up.  Eventually you will find something to work for you.  Sample packets (indivudual serving) are available at some online sources.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery