How much weight did you lose before any one noticed?

Kathy S.
on 2/28/15 2:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I have to say it was about 60 pounds before people started saying anything.  That is what makes it so hard for us that have so much to lose.  Take a photo every month.  I didn't see the weight loss but when I went and compared the photos there it was plain as day.  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

NinaCanDOit
on 2/28/15 3:22 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I had a similar start weight (392) and it took about 6 months or a little over 120 lbs for people to notice.  There was a noticeable uptick in the number of compliments paid to me during that time, and most of them were in direct relation to my appearance, though somehow around my weight.  I don't think it was intentional, or people being polite, I think it just didn't occur to them that it was related to losing a vast amount of weight.  And then all of sudden after the Christmas break and I got (wow, you've lost weight!) compliments from several of my colleagues and even students. 

I had been wearing size appropriate clothing the whole time.  I hate looking sloppy or baggy, and I was lucky enough to have saved some really nice stuff along the way so I could shop my closet until very recently.  The only thing is that I wear an apron all of the time at school, and usually a sweater or cardigan, because I'm always cold now, so maybe that was part of it?  It felt like it took a long time, but whatever.  I get plenty of feedback and support from my family and friends, so I didn't give it much thought. 

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/28/15 4:15 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I lost 25 pounds in the first two months and the rapid weight loss from 300 to 175 made it extremely noticeable... I would see people I haven't seen in a while would say,"OMG you lost a ton of weight..." I would laugh and say I only lost 25 pounds... The real fun is now though when people say that I lost a lot of weight I just say, "I only lost a hundred pounds..."

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Angel57
on 3/3/15 10:28 pm - San Antonio, TX

I started at 310 pounds. People started noticing at about 50 lbs. Like the others said, it is important that YOU notice the weight loss. Your perception is more important. In my weight loss I find it easier to buy clothes at resale,thrift stores and Goodwill. People would not believe the bargains and brand name clothing you can find! Also, you can give back to the community by giving your larger clothing to your local church or other organization. Hope this helps! God Bless!  :-) 

jastypes
on 3/5/15 11:56 pm - Croydon, PA

I would say about 60 pounds. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

GenieR
on 3/6/15 2:06 am

Your answers have been very helpful to me for sure. I have lost about 46 pounds now before my surgery and my pants are so baggy but I'm putting off getting new clothes; Why? I have no idea. My boyfriend keeps saying "We need to get you some new pants" which I keep saying no not yet. But now listening to all of you I think I will now thanks so much for setting me straight. I really love the help we get from each other.

shakeitoff
on 3/6/15 3:15 am
VSG on 03/09/15

It's nice to converse with people that understand 

GenieR
on 3/6/15 11:36 am

Hello Shakeitoff, I started at 274 and when I lost 30 pounds people started to notice but people close to me said something but that when I hit the 40 pound mark then people really noticed and now everyone is saying something which really feels good since I have never heard those words before. On March 26th I meet with my doctor and hope it is to set up the surgery date finally. I have gone from 274-231 pounds before surgery which is 43 pounds but I was down to 46 pound loss which upsets me because I seem to have stopped at this point and can not get back down to that 46. I have started working out at a gym this week so maybe the pounds will start to come off  now. Good Luck & Have a great day.  Genie R