My dr said I may need the surgery!

MS_Knitter
on 2/24/15 5:43 am

today I saw my dr and he put me on the weight loss medication tenuate. I have zero appetite. I am to take it for 3 months. But he said if I do not lose weight I will need the surgery for weight loss. 

So I hope to lose weight and am here to learn about the surgery process in case I do need it. 

My BMI is currently 45. I am going to track my daily caloric intake as well and my exercise. This seems like a good and helpful website.

hollykim
on 2/24/15 6:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, MS_Knitter wrote:

today I saw my dr and he put me on the weight loss medication tenuate. I have zero appetite. I am to take it for 3 months. But he said if I do not lose weight I will need the surgery for weight loss. 

So I hope to lose weight and am here to learn about the surgery process in case I do need it. 

My BMI is currently 45. I am going to track my daily caloric intake as well and my exercise. This seems like a good and helpful website.

I would be thrilled if I was you! Diet pills and gimmicks just dont work. If the did we would ALL be thin ,period. 

Good luck

Cathy W.
on 2/24/15 6:32 am

Welcome to the OH community.  OH has lots of resources that will be helpful to you with your research of a surgery procedure and even checking out bariatric surgeons too.  

Cruise the drop down menus on the blue nav bar at the top of the website.  Here are links to the surgical message boards.  You'll obtain lots of information from members.  

Duodenal Switch (DS)

Gastric Bypass (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)

Lap-Band

Another good resource is the OH Blog.  There are articles about a variety of topics that will be helpful.  Check out the Before/After article too.  

For tracking your food and exercise, there are tracking sites you can do this including OH's Health Tracker.  If you use the Health Tracker, you can keep it private, public or share it with your doctor too.  

As you can see, there are lots of resources you can use.  Post any questions or updates you'd like.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

MS_Knitter
on 2/24/15 9:55 am

Thank you all so much! I appreciate all the help! :) 

i will ill check out everything this website has to offer. 

Thank you again. 

Mary Gee
on 2/24/15 10:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Good luck to you. I would suggest you contact your insurer now for a few reasons. First, to verify coverage for surgery. Second, to see what their pre-op requirements. Many insurers require a six month supervised diet. More than likely, you will lose weight with the medication - but you won't be able to maintain the loss. I'd say almost everyone here has lost weight in the past.... And then gained it all back. WLS is a tool to not only lose the weight, but to keep it off. Again, best of luck.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175