Planning revision surgery: How is it going through Kaiser?

preshnoflin22
on 2/24/15 4:40 pm

Hello! I'm a new member and would love some advice. I had the lap band in March 2011 and since, it's just been hard dealing with the band and my weight. I'm now looking into switching to the VSG or bypass but leaning towards VSG. I was wondering what the process is like using Kaiser? How long till you get approved for surgery? I plan to make an appointment when I go home for spring break to see my options. But I'd love to hear others opinions and feedback.

Thanks!

DoOverWLS
on 2/25/15 3:33 pm

We're in the same boat.  I had my band since 2009.  I had my appt with my PCP on Monday (2/23/15).  She sent over my referral for revision to sleeve to Kaiser Woodland Hills.  I called today and was told that my info has been sent to the chief surgeon for review and that I should hear something within 2 weeks. Make sure your PCPs nurse gives you the phone number of who's getting your referral so that you can call like I did. 

My big question is if I'll have to take the 12 wk Option classes.  I hope not. Luckily, I'm still under 40 BMI. I have my calendar marked to call Health Ed next Wed for an update if I haven't heard anything. 

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

preshnoflin22
on 2/26/15 10:23 am

Me too! That was my big question because I read that people have had to do these classes and other things that took close to 6 month before getting a surgery date. But that was years back, so I just want to know what's the process like now. I've never been to kaiser other than going with my parents. And now that I have kaiser for my insurance, this seems the best of my options. 

Thank you so much for your feedback, it does help a lot.

DoOverWLS
on 2/26/15 10:48 am

Also keep in mind that they way they do things differs from Kaiser to Kaiser, which is just weird. For my location, there are 12 classes, others could be longer.  Some have to take classes, some not. Wacky! 

I've had Kaiser for 6 years as well as work for them on the admin side.  I had some pretty serious services in the past and have nothing but great things to say about their care.  Regardless of what process you go through, I think you'll be in good hands. 

preshnoflin22
on 2/26/15 10:56 am

Great, thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Kathy S.
on 2/26/15 10:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

We did a search for you using Kaiser and here is the results. If you want to narrow it down use the search feature and enter your location kaiser.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=kaiser &cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

Good luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

preshnoflin22
on 2/26/15 10:56 am

Thank you! This is very helpful 

DoOverWLS
on 3/7/15 1:18 pm

I have an update! My file really wasn't sent to the surgeon, it was still with the Options folks. Anyway, I called and got the right person on the phone.  She had my PCP order an upper GI, which I did on Thursday (3/5) (double yuck!). On Friday, Options received my normal results and sent it over to the surgeon schedulers desk.  They will call to set up my consult appt.  I'm hoping this is the road to a surgery date.  You'll want your GI results before your consult. 

preshnoflin22
on 3/11/15 1:05 pm

Okay, great! I'm still trying to figure everything out. I was able to make an appointment with my physician for next week and hope to get stuff going. I think I may have a long ways  to go due to me being away at school and what not. But i'm hoping for the best. Thank you so much for the update, it really helps me figure all this out. 

preshnoflin22
on 3/26/15 3:20 pm, edited 3/26/15 3:20 pm

Update: I met with my doctor who transferred me to preventive medicine. The doctor there said I qualified to have the revision surgery. So I have to do the 6 month classes. I have my orientation class in 2 weeks and will start the other classes in May. I also will have to get an upper GI which is fine. Would I be okay with doing the consult/ orientation before having my GI? Also, I was hoping it was a shorter process but am glad to have this opportunity and will have a lot more information for the revision than I did when getting my lap band.