Going back to work post surgery

gratefulgirlie
on 2/24/15 10:05 am - Shreveport, LA

About how long after gastric sleeve surgery should I plan on returning to work? I have a job where I sit behind a desk.

Kathy S.
on 2/24/15 11:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Let this be your surgeon's call.  I had open and had complications and didn't return to work for months but if you have Lapropscopic the average is a week to 2 weeks.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

JENI1166
on 2/24/15 12:13 pm - Belleville, IL

It will depend on your dr. I had my surgery on the 17th.  I'm going back to work the 26th. 

SW 221  CW 209 GW 140 surgery date 2/17/2015. RNY gastric bypass

Nich_R
on 2/24/15 3:42 pm

I haven't had surgery yet but my doctor said she would let that be my call after the first week if I feel like I can go back because I have a desk job.

Nichole

Valerie G.
on 2/24/15 9:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

People's experiences are so variable for this.  A couple of things to keep into perspective are strain, activity, and critical thinking.  You aren't supposed to lift/push/pull any more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, so any kind of strenuous activity is out for a bit.  You can tire easily, so if you have an active job that isn't as strenuous, you may find fatigue hitting you fast.  I added critical thinking because even with incisions healed in a couple of weeks, it can take longer to lose that anesthesia fog.  Those who's jobs require critical thinking found themselves making some significant errors returning to work too early.

So, keep these factors in mind and discuss with your surgeon.  Also discuss with your employer what the possibilities may be.   I took off a total of 8 weeks off through the winter holidays.  I didn't feel like myself until around 5-6 weeks post op, and took the final couple of weeks working out how I could develop a routine of food and vitamins through my work day.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

David F.
on 2/28/15 10:28 am - Henderson, NV

I took one week off, my doctor kept asking me if I was sure. I said yes because I don't do anything but sit there. I did okay just tired a lot but looking back I should have taken two weeks. only because of being tired. 

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467