preop testing

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/15 12:23 am

I dont understand why I have to do blood work, ekg and chest xray when I havent even seen the doctor nor have I been approved for surgery, the assistant sent me a bunch of papers and told me to do them right away, shouldn't these tests be done right before surgery? 

Karen M.
on 2/24/15 1:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

It would seem to me that the surgeon would want to know exactly what he/she is dealing with regarding your health and comorbidities before seeing you as a patient. The information will also be more than useful in gaining insurance approval.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Nich_R
on 2/24/15 4:30 am

I had to do an EKG, blood work, sleep study, and endoscopy and my surgery isn't scheduled yet either. I think it's just part of the process. Like someone else said, it will give the surgeon an idea of your whole picture and more info to submit to insurance.

Nichole

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/15 6:22 am - Canada

my bariatric clinic made it very clear that there would be a lot of tests before I would even be considered for approval. And even after all that the decision is still up to your surgeon. I had multiple blood tests, ecg's, a sleep study, both gastroscopy and colonoscopy, an abdominal xray and ulltrasound, an MRI , 3 appointments with a dietitian and 3 with a social worker, and a couple group information meetings with others that were in the same boat as me. I embraced the testing with the knowledge that every  single one of them would help me decide if this was the right surgery for me. I know how difficult it is to be patient but trust me; there is a very important reason for all of the tests etc. And that is YOU! Good luck!

hollykim
on 2/24/15 6:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2015 at 8:23 AM Pacific Time, S. C wrote:

I dont understand why I have to do blood work, ekg and chest xray when I havent even seen the doctor nor have I been approved for surgery, the assistant sent me a bunch of papers and told me to do them right away, shouldn't these tests be done right before surgery? 

your surgeon wants to make sure you have any comorbidities that will qualify you for surgery,before he spends time with you. 

Sorry,sad but true,