Help again Thanks!!

jaimeelynne
on 2/23/15 2:18 am

Hi, I go in tomorrow for an apt with my PCP and I was wondering how do I ask for a referral for wls? He has known me for years and knows of my weight issues I guess I'm just nervous to actually ask for help? Thank you!!

Y D.
on 2/23/15 2:40 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

It was embarrassing for me to ask my doctor at first too. Nothing to do with him really, just more at the situation, like, "Am I really at this point??"

Just flat out ask, and if possible when you make the appt have them note what its for if you want- so he/she can be prepared with info, and most likely the Dr. will be the one to break the ice and start the conversation.

First step is the hardest, but don't dilly dally- after he refers you you'll probably want it done yesterday! ;)

Congrats!

MickeyDee
on 2/23/15 2:48 am

Just Do It!  You'll be amazed at how good you'll feel when you start asking for (and getting) what you want and need.

Maria27
on 2/23/15 3:29 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I was a bit nervous, but I just stated that I was there for a referral to be evaluated for weight loss surgery. Fortunately, my PCP is completely on board and thought that the surgery would be great for me. She just wanted to talk a little about why I wanted the surgery and my previous attempts to lose weight. Once I took that step, I knew that I was serious and would go through with the surgery. It feels great to know that you are taking control of your health. Good luck!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

jaimeelynne
on 2/23/15 3:33 am

Thank you everyone! That really helps, gosh I am so nervously excited to get things started!

Mary Gee
on 2/23/15 4:03 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
There is no need to be nervous -- you are doing something that will improve your health. WLS is not "the easy way" - I hope you don't feel like a "failure" because you have failed at attempts to lose weight before - because we all have! Good for you for wanting to move forward. BTW, we are all here for help, information and support ..... so welcome aboard.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Valerie G.
on 2/23/15 5:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Call your insurance company and ask what they require.  I didn't require a formal referral, but a note saying that she supported my wish for wls.  I took that along with the other hoops to jump through.  Some require a supervised diet period, etc., so definitely start with a phone call to your isnurance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MegZorar
on 2/23/15 9:06 am

Don't be discouraged if your PCP's not onboard with WLS. Mine wasn't. I felt I had to talk them into it--which was annoying.

If you need another avenue, a good strategy is to ask the surgeon if he/she works with a PCP (same thing goes for the other professionals, like a psychologist, who might have to sign off on your surgery). 

Good luc****ep pressing forward.

hollykim
on 2/23/15 10:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, jaimeelynne wrote:

Hi, I go in tomorrow for an apt with my PCP and I was wondering how do I ask for a referral for wls? He has known me for years and knows of my weight issues I guess I'm just nervous to actually ask for help? Thank you!!

um,how about" I would like a referral for weight loss surgery." 

jaimeelynne
on 2/24/15 3:17 am

Bless your heart.