3 Days Post Op

luxurycouture
on 2/20/15 11:36 am, edited 2/21/15 3:27 am

Maybe it is a little too soon to post, as there have been no major revalations for me, but I do have a few things to share. 

1. I am not nauseous at all. Not one bit. I hope that this continues to be my trend moving forward. 

2. I am able to keep everything down. There have been a few times that the restriction has caused a little restrictive pressure in my chest, but it goes away after seconds. I have to remember to take in liquids slowly and take small sips. 

3. I have some pain in my left rib cage area and left shoulder blade area, likely indications of gas and air. If this would disapate, I would be a much happier person. 

4. Pain meds are my friend. I tend to erre on the conservative side when it comes to pain meds,  but I have certainly appreciated them for this procedure. 

5. Some of my incisions are slightly red. I had a home are visiting nurse visit my home today and she is aware of my incisions. She is coming back tomorrow to check on them 

6. Exhaustion  is normal and I am certainly a bit run down. 

7. I am thirsty a lot and exceeding my water intake requirememts by a small margin, which is okay per my dietician. My protein is almost up where it should be and I am constantly sipping my protein drink to get there. 

8. I actually am a little bit hungry here and there. I have had some slight hunger pangs, but I have only honored them with protein powder drinks. I have read that this is normal at this stage in the game because my hunger hormones are still lingering, but will go away eventually? Weigh in on this topic. 

9. I feel all around happier. My moods are nice and more positive. No tears of regret or emotional changes. I just am really happy so far. 

10. No significant weight loss since surgery. I'm down maybe 2 pounds or so. 

Ask me me anything., I'm bored in bed and would love to correspond! 

Sarah

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

kathkeb
on 2/20/15 1:43 pm

Sarah,

Welcome to the 'other side'!!

you might find that a heating pad brings relief to the shoulder discomfort.

Also, the walking around seems to help dislodge trapped gas and get it moving on its way ... So alternate walking with resting with the heating pad.

You were pumped full of gas and fluids 3 days ago .... The scale won't be accurate for a while .. Ignore it, if you can.

The hunger could also be acid .... If you are not on a PPI, you might ask your doc about one at your next appointment.  Stay focused on hydration and movement.   Walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip is the mantra for the next week or 2.

Keep up the great attitude!!!

Kath

MochaJava_143
on 2/20/15 9:40 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

Hi Sarah!

I'm happy to see your post because I am 8 days away from surgery & trying desperately to stay on this liquid only diet, so here I am for inspiration.  Which surgery did you have? I'm having the Sleeve.

luxurycouture
on 2/21/15 6:04 am

I had the sleeve. And yes, I also loathed the liquid diet. If you were to look at my posts, you would see that I *****ed and moaned about the liquid diet quite a bit. It's reputably the hardest part of this whole journey, so they say. I did cheat a couple of times with very small things in the 4th and 5th day, but I felt very guilty and became nervous qbout cheating so I stopped cheating. Don't give in. You'll thank yourself later and the food will not make you feel full enough anyway. I was allowed to have liquid broth and also celery, so I stated cutting up the celery and putting it in the broth so it felt sort of lole real food. I didn't hang out in the kitchen or the siding room the rest of the week. I pretty much stayed in my bedroom when I was home. You can do it. There are thousands of fat people with bad relationships with food and they make it through. Youll be fine. Focus and hang

in there!! Xo

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Jengmomof3
on 2/21/15 10:56 am

I am also happy to see this as I am 5 days pre-op! I just joined to read about other's journeys and some of these are scaring me, TBH!! I'm having the sleeve on Thursday. Doing ok w/pre op diet, but it's really hard :( Hoping post op is easier!! Looking forward to hearing more!! Thanks!

jennifer

thallnc
on 2/21/15 5:34 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Hi, I had surgery on the 18th and doing just as well as you are. I hope it keeps up. Luckily I haven't had to be in pain meds but I can already feel the acid building up. I've never had problems with acid before. I thankfully only gave 2 incisions so my stomach is not hurting all over. I am trying my hardest to meet my liquid intake today. I never realized how hard that would be. Good luck to you and a speedy recovery!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

JENI1166
on 2/21/15 1:25 pm - Belleville, IL

I had surgery on the 17th and came home on the 18th.  Not a ton of pain and only take a lortab before bed. Recovery is going much better than I thought. I have an awesome support system with my husband.  The preop diet to me was the worst. I'm doing great with post op diet.  Scale hasn't moved much but I know I'm still recovering.  I go back to my doctor on Monday for staple removal and followup. Hoping I will feel like going back to the gym.  Going with the staples makes me feel uncomfortable.  The sight and smell of food isn't bothering me at all except Fritos.  Dang they smelled good. 

SW 221  CW 209 GW 140 surgery date 2/17/2015. RNY gastric bypass

Phyllispil
on 2/22/15 6:35 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/16/15

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the detailed post.  I am 6 days post op and have much the same experience.  No pain only soreness around the incisions when getting up and down.  Gas pain is bothersome in the evenings.  I do a bit a walking before bed and this helps.  No pain meds since first day home.  I do feel weak but this is to be expected.  We just had major surgery and are on a very restrictive diet.  Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

HW 360, SW 332, Surg W 281, Goal 160