Almost 2 years Post Surgery and Stuck

poohbear8809
on 2/23/15 2:19 am

Hi!

Thanks so much for your empathic responses and insightful suggestions.  I really appreciate that you have acknowledged the work I've done so far.  Being on the liquid diet (I hate shakes, so I actually made popsicles out of the shake mix),  was a key factor for me, I think.  There was a certain point in time when I decided I didn't need to be having that anymore, even though I know I'm not getting enough protein from the little bit of food I eat.  Every time I see my doc, she says the same things to me, but has no clue about the psychosocial aspects of being "compliant" (I hate that word) with the eating regiment.  There is a nutritionist, that i've seen several times, who gives me the same schpeil and a coordinator who coordinates the information sessions (to recruit new patients) which are followed by what she calls support groups.  I went to a couple of them and, having been trained in counseling and group facilitation, these groups were NOT support groups.  The environment was all wrong and they were more lecture in nature.  When I go to a true support group, I expect to relate to people and share experiences as well as give and receive support.  Unfortunately, there aren't any other support groups closeby, but I continue to look.  Now I'm doing the online thing...trying to reach out for anyone or anything that might help.

Hobbies...I've been a workaholic for about 30 years so I never really had time to develop hobbies.  However, now, due to the worsening of my depression, anxiety, and a host of physical problems, I am no longer working.  I'm still grieving this loss.  Sometimes I sit around staring out the window, crying, because I don't know what to do with myself (except eat!).

So, as you can see, I have a lot going on.  I'm just trying to hold it together to get through another day.

Again, thanks for your understanding and expressions of confidence in my ability to finish what I started.

I wish you well in your journey, too. 

Take care,

Sharon

SJP
on 2/21/15 10:53 pm - Kansas City, MO

First of all, congratulations on losing 100 pounds!  That is quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself.

I wish I could offer advise but really you have this!  Stick with the plan of protein first... It's tough especially when those damn chips keep calling your name.  😉

good luck!

TexasLady52
on 2/24/15 2:26 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I am so sorry you are struggling with this!  Mental illness is as much a disease as obesity!  It is a constant battle.  We all know what to do...if we all did what we know to do....there would be no need for weight loss surgery.  Most of us have battled this battle our entire lives.  So proud of you for losing the 100 lbs.!!!  When you are having a bad day...it is so easy to reach for the wrong foods.  None of us are perfect.  I will be praying you find the right meds and the peace you are looking for.