Pre Op Weight Loss - So bummed!

Margiem
on 2/20/15 8:29 am

I'm struggling to lose the 10% required before the op! I know I'm one of those guilty ones who do not eat their 3 meals + 2 snacks but I was trying so hard this month (and only lost 1 lb). I was Counting calories & exercising. The dietitian has me drinking meal replacement shakes and eating 100 cal Greek yogurt. Any other ideas or tips to get this metabolism boosted? 

MickeyDee
on 2/20/15 11:05 am

Don't get too upset about a number.  Stay on your program and stay off the scale. The goal is to help the surgeon by shrinking the liver, so if you stay focused you will do it.

Eat your meals, drink lots of water, walkwalkwalk (gently if you're new at exercise), haunt this site!

NYMom222
on 2/20/15 11:43 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Are they telling you to count calories? If they are telling you to do something specific, now is a good time to practice following the rules. What did they tell you to do?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Margiem
on 2/20/15 1:38 pm

At first they told me to count calories and keep it under 1400. I was doing it but I kept finding myself skipping breakfast and lunch so they have me drinking meal replacement shakes and setting a timer for two snacks a day. 

Chilipepper
on 2/21/15 12:19 am
On February 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM Pacific Time, Margiem wrote:

At first they told me to count calories and keep it under 1400. I was doing it but I kept finding myself skipping breakfast and lunch so they have me drinking meal replacement shakes and setting a timer for two snacks a day. 

So if you were skipping breakfast and lunch but eating 1400 calories a day... What are you actually eating?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

White Dove
on 2/20/15 10:35 pm - Warren, OH

One pound a month is probably not going to make your medical team very happy.  If you are truly keeping your calories at 1400, then that does not seem to be low enough.  Are you counting the calories in the shakes and in the yogurt as part of your 1400 calories?  Are you tracking every bite with something like My Fitness Pal? 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Margiem
on 2/21/15 4:09 am

No I was skipping the meals totally and only eating dinner which was more like 700 to 800 calories. I have hypo-thyroid so my metabolism is sluggish to begin with. I need to wake it up. The shakes are new for me just since Thursday. I'm counting everything I put into my stomach even if I use vinegar on a salad. 

NYMom222
on 2/25/15 4:35 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Eating all your food at the end of the day isn't going to help weight loss. The weight loss diet I was given (pre-liquid diet) was 100g protein a day, not more than 100g carbs. I did not have to count non starchy vegetables, and included in that count was to be one protein shake a day that wasn't more than 200 calories or 5g sugar with 20-30g protein. It was pretty easy to follow and I lost about 10lbs in 3 week on it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MsBatt
on 2/21/15 2:19 am

The most successful way---no, make that the ONLY successful way I've ever 'dieted' and lost weight was the Atkins induction plan. Google it---you can find it almost anywhere. It's really simple---you eat a high-protein, moderate-fat, very-low-carb diet of REAL food. The idea is to keep your calories under about 1500, but the KEY is to keep you CARBS below 20 for the whole day. This means you're eating almost nothing but meat, cheese, eggs, seafood, and green leafy veggies.  But you CAN fry your eggs in BUTTER, dip your lobster in BUTTER, eat whole-fat cheeses---it's really a very satisfying diet, and after it really works to prepare you for surgery. It gives you lots of protein, to help with post-op healing, and it burns up the glycogen stored in your liver, making it less slippery and easier for the surgeon to manipulate. (Actually shrinking the sixe of the liver takes MONTHS, not weeks.)

Margiem
on 2/21/15 4:10 am

That diet doesn't sound half bad. I feel like I can live without the starch. Do you think I can take the shakes and use a diet like that for my dinner?