Surgery scheduled for March 2 and think I want to change from Bypass to Sleeve.

dizod
on 2/22/15 2:49 am

I was pretty undecided for awhile shifting between the two and my dr. said he would do either, but due to GERD he would "lean" towards bypass.  The bypass was approved by insurance.  I woke up today with a  change of heart, and so long as I can keep taking the prevacid, I think its a reasonable solution. My problem with food is quantity and I am not a bad eater most of the time. 

My question is do you think they'll cancel this surgery date since I changed by procedure?  My last meeting with a surgeon is on Thursday, 4 days prior to my surgery date. Opinions?

rocky513
on 2/22/15 6:43 am - WI

VSG could make your GERD much worse.  I suffered from extreme GERD after my VBG ( for over 25 years).  I revised to RNY and my GERD is completely gone.  RNY gave me my life back.  I've never felt better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NYMom222
on 2/22/15 10:26 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It wouldn't necessarily delay it if the insurance will pay. As the previous poster said though your GERD may not necessarily stay the same it, it may get worse. I would call the office and see if there is someone you could talk to about it. I don't think I'd wait for my appointment. There is always last minute anxiety... are you sure that is not behind the change?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 10:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, they will have to cancel your date because they have to resubmit your ppwk for a different procedure.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/22/15 11:01 am - OH

It mostly depends on how quickly you can get approval from the insurance company for the VSG instead of the RNY. They already know that you meet the general requirements for WLS, so it shouldn't be a lengthy process, but you never know with insurance companies.  If you are sure you want to change surgery types, call your surgeon's office first thing in the morning to get the approval process started.  If you wait until your appointment on Thursday to start the process with the insurance company you will almost certainly have to reschedule.

Whether you have to reschedule surgery might also depend on how your surgeon does his/her surgical scheduling. Some surgeons are particular about which types of surgeries they do when (we have one surgeon who does VSGs only on one day and then RNYs only on another day), or they might want/need to adjust the timing since RNY generally takes longer than a sleeve.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/23/15 4:50 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I did not have any problems with GERD prior to having a VSG.  Now I do.  My surgeon said it occurs in about 30% of his patients who never experience problems before surgery.  I have to take a PPI every day now just to keep the acid monster at bay.

If you have a problem now with GERD, it could get even worse after surgery.  Prevacid may not work as well after surgery.  

I don't want to discourage you because I do love my sleeve and would choose it again, but VSG is contraindicated for people with existing GERD.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220