Diabetic how to bring up sugar levels after surgery if to low?

sher920
on 2/21/15 9:19 pm, edited 2/22/15 12:26 pm - Riverdale, GA

I just found out 1 year ago . I'm a Diabetic and I've been  really contemplating  having the Gastric Sleeve,

I just really wanted to know if my sugars get to low how can I bring my sugar back up with me barely not able to hold liquids down, Can someone please help me understand?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/15 9:25 pm

In case of really really low blood sugars (30's)- real emergency - i would take 1-2 tablets of glucose and let it dissolve inn my mouth slowly. Sugar gets absorbed in my mouth, avoiding too much of it going to my gut. (And dumping).

Then i follow with some proteins and fats..typically for me a 1-2 tbs of nut butter does the trick.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sher920
on 2/22/15 3:45 am - Riverdale, GA

Thanks  Hala.B so much for the info , I really needed the input.

Kiwideb
on 2/21/15 10:54 pm, edited 2/22/15 2:24 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I am type 2 (one BIG reason for surgery)  and this was a huge worry for me for post surgery. Turns out, it wasn't such a big deal after all.

now my case is a little different (I went back in to hospital for pnemonia, and got given insulin for 2 days of the 5 there - I wasn't on insulin before that btw), but I've not been on meds since I left the hospital and I've not had a super low yet. 

I have, though, been steadily have my numbers drop! Pre meal I am testing just over 100, jumping up 60-80 and falling back, just the way I should! Just out of hospital I was up around 180, i fluctuated all around for 2-3 weeks, but this 5th week it has really started to settle. I'm very happy for that!

So, my thoughts now are that unless your diabetes is wildly out of control (some still have to be on meds) then this will most likely be a non issue for you too. Also, if you are on glipizide vs metformin (like me) they will for sure take you off your meds. 

Oh, and VSG doesn't dump like bypass does, so a drink of milk (protein right there!) or a mouthful of juice, or a spoonful of peanut butter etc works.

hope that helps

sher920
on 2/22/15 3:42 am - Riverdale, GA

Thanks so much Kiwideb your information helps a lot. I look forward to my journey....

MickeyDee
on 2/22/15 6:19 am

I've found that a quick small meal of a protein along with a complex carb is the best bet.  Juice is just pure sugar, so that is not usually the best fix for me.

sher920
on 2/22/15 10:59 am - Riverdale, GA

Thanks MickeyDee great information, Yes agree, I also felt pure sugar was definitely not a good idea.

Thanks again...

hollykim
on 2/22/15 9:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2015 at 5:19 AM Pacific Time, sher920 wrote:

I just found out 1 year ago . I'm a Diabetic and I've been  really conciplating having the Gastric Sleeve,

I just really wanted to know if my sugars get to low how can I bring my sugar back up with me barely not able to hold liquids down, Can someone please help me understand?

you don't even know that your sugars will fluctuate that much after surgery. Mine diabetes went into remission the evening of the morning I had surgery. It has been normal on every BS test I have had in the last 7 years since then.

you likely won't have the wide swings of blood sugar...high then low,after surgery,if your diabetes goes into remission. It will become a Non issue. 

Wondering why you assume you will be "barely not able to hold liquids down?"

many of us ,myself included ,have no problems getting fluids down from early out. 

sher920
on 2/22/15 10:52 am - Riverdale, GA

Thanks for the information. I haven't had the surgery yet, therefore I really don't know what to expect.

I do have a friend that had the surgery that was really having problems holding liquids down.

And with having Diabetes I just wanted to make sure it would not be a problem. It's amazing how i quickly it goes into remission after surgery, Such a blessing.. Thanks again Sher920

hollykim
on 2/22/15 11:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

always assume things will be fine. Mind over matter often works. If we assume we will have trouble,we will.  If we assume we won't,we might not.

i was thrilled when mine went into remission so soon.