Lap Band Failures

bigtom77
on 2/21/15 10:19 am

My name is Tom, I had Surgery in 2006,  I did everything ask of me and I lost about 50 pounds before surgery, it was a trouble free surgery.  The surgeon was very happy with the results and ease of surgery.  I was up walking the halls 30 minutes after surgery and went home the next morning.  Soon after surgery I had a disagreement with the Dr. and his P.A. and decided I would find another Dr.  But no other Dr. would see me for fills for a couple of years.  When my personal physician found a Dr. who would do fills, I lost 50 more pounds, without incident.  The device quit working for me and after a while I gained 50 pounds and I had an upper GI the Dr. said she could not tell any restriction at all.  I had a Die swallow test and found my port or tube from the port was leaking.  I was told Medicare would only pay for removal, not revision or replacement, or any other surgery.  Is there any one out there with a similar experience, or might have helpful advice.  Thank You. 

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 12:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are so many Lapband nightmare stories out there that they used to have their own forum out here.  It's not out there anymore, but the members are still around.  I'm not sure about the revision component with Medicare.  I do know that they will pay for any procedure you choose.  Many Band patients that saw true success before the band problems came went for the sleeve, while others who didn't get the results they'd hoped went to add some malabsorption to the equation with the RNY and DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hislady
on 2/22/15 6:42 am - Vancouver, WA

Who told you medicare wouldn't cover a revision? As far as I know they will, I know many people who have revised from band to sleeve, RNY and DS. So check with your local medicare office, unless it is something odd to your area they should cover any revision you choose.

monymony
on 2/23/15 5:20 am

I agree with hilady. Check it out before you give up. The port can be replaced and you can get back on track. You have to be the squeaky wheel. Good luck. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!