Help me, please!

Shiznit
on 2/21/15 12:29 am - Canada
Hi!   My story is short so far.  I live in Saint John.  My family doctor submitted my referral to Dr. B. in Moncton last April.  I called the office a couple of weeks ago and they advised that they are just starting referrals for 2010.  Like everyone else, I was disappointed that there is such a long wait time just to get in for a consult.    I have been reading up on various websites about the procedures, doctors, facilities, etc. to start getting some back ground info.  Like most of the brave people I’ve read about, I’m scared about the procedure but I’m even more scared that I won’t live long enough to have it done.   If I could have it done in NB in the next couple of years, I think I could plan for that but if it’s a five year wait, I’d been interested in going elsewhere and paying for it as long as it wasn’t being done by some whacko or in an unsanitary environment.    Is it possible for me to talk with a couple of people who have had it done in other places like Mexico, Quebec, etc.  I’d like to hear about their experiences, wait times, pre op, post surgery followup, etc.  Anything would be helpful.  I have picked up a fair amount of info on the OH website but talking with a real life person who has gone through it, I think, would help me along my journey.   I understand this info can be confidential and I would respect that.  I hate myself as I am now and I honestly think this body won’t hold up to anymore yo yo dieting.  Please help me if you can and thank you.   Shiznit
MsBatt
on 2/21/15 2:07 am

First, a few tips---try to break your posts up into paragraphs. It makes them much easier to read, and you're more likely to get replies that way. Also, put as much info on your profile as you're comfortable sharing. Knowing this like your BMI, any health problems, etc., will give us some insight and make it easier for us to give you answers that are relevant to YOU as an individual. And it's not "the procedure"---there are four basic forms of WLS being done, and you need to research them ALL in order to decide what's best for you. (They are the LapBand, the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch.)

I suggest you start with researching the surgery types and decide which one's right for you. Then you can start researching surgeons who are highly experienced in doing the procedure YOU want. There is a South of the Border forum here, for those who have gone to Mexico. I *think* there are also members there who have gone other places outside the US, like Brazil, Spain, Germany, etc. There are also, or al least used to be, and lot of folks on the DS board who went outside the US---that might be a good place to post, also.
You might also check into some of the Facebook WLS-oriented groups. I KNOW there are a lot of out-of-country posters on the DS-specific groups I belong to. If you'd like to PM me I can give you some names.

Shiznit
on 2/25/15 4:35 am - Canada

Thanks Everyone for your helpful hints.  As a Newbie to this site, I appreciate the pointers.  I will get more definitive info and I'll be back to you!

Thanks!

Shiznit

Kate -True Brit
on 2/21/15 3:09 am - UK

It would be helpful to know which surgery you are considering.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

christinamudd
on 2/21/15 4:10 pm

Which surgery are you considering?  I originally would have had my surgery within 2 months with my doctor.  Can you switch doctors?

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/21/15 10:34 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had my VSG in Montreal with Dr Gagner. It was perfect. You can get in touch with him easily and he will give you a quote and be able to schedule you long before your waiting period in NB. But this is the self pay option. After care and follow up would have to be done by your regular physician I guess. Dr Gagner is always available by email for his patients. I still send him an update now and then and he always responds within 24 hours or less.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/22/15 6:48 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I am curious as to why they are five years out is it due to the affordable health care you have in Canada? I am not knocking affordable health care, but maybe there is an alternate place to have the surgery done. Perhaps the United states if it is feasible for you. It seems to me that in the situation of Bariatric Surgery that there would be a faster process to help patients receive surgeries faster. I know that in my case I was fortunate to have the entire process done in 2 months because my insurance approved it in two weeks. 

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/23/15 9:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There is an entire sub-forum for people who've had surgery in Mexico, you should be able to get some information from other patients there.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!