Does COLD affect ENERGY?

Willie H.
on 2/19/15 10:33 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

REAL cold here in NJ. -15 with windchill! Brrrrr! Got up this morning to work out, went to gym, did treadmill 20 mins and then my Planet Fitness 30 minute circuit workout. I was extremely sluggish and had no energy! I did not work out yesterday so I should have been really jacked up. Even on the treadmill I had no energy and my legs felt heavy. I sprinted a little to try to get my circulation going and body warmed up and stretched out in preparation for the circuit training-never got it going. Wonder if it was the cold that affected me, or just one of those days?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Cathy W.
on 2/19/15 11:23 pm

The cold impacts everyone differently but I'd guess your energy level is low because of the weather.  Wind chill of -15 is beyond cold!  

You didn't let it get you down and did a 50 minute workout which is great!  

Hopefully Spring is coming soon.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/19/15 11:55 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

That has happened to me when I lived in Colorado. In freezing temps it is hard to get warmed up to exercise properly. I have to have at least 10 to 15 minutes to warm up and if the temps are freezing that turns into double the time. The reason I need this is to get the fluids flowing through out my joints and muscles so that I can have circulation for energy. Hope this helps.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

MsBatt
on 2/21/15 1:52 am

The lower the temperature, the more energy your body uses just to maintain its normal temperature. So yes, beyond a certain point, the cold DOES zap your energy.

MyLady Heidi
on 2/22/15 12:09 pm

How much time are you really spending outside?  I am spending virtually none so my energy is unaffected.  If you are out shoveling every storm you are probably getting a great workout with that right there.  I mean we have mountains of snow here in Connecticut, and very cold weather but I don't think walking back and forth to my car can really count as exercise.