What will I need to get back into U.S.

kami_c04
on 2/19/15 3:20 pm

I am scheduled to have surgery for my VGS in Juarez MX through Belite on March 6 2015. I will be flying to El Paso from Dallas, This is my first time flying much less leaving the state or country. Does anyone know what all documents are going to be required for reentry into the United States? And does anyone know how safe it is down there regarding the cartel? Thank You

MickeyDee
on 2/19/15 4:06 pm

Your passport and photo I.D. should be sufficient.  You might ask whomever you arranged the trip with for this info just to be sure.

I'm not familiar with "the cartel" but I'm sure that if you avoid taking packages from strangers you probably won't have too many problems.

Valerie G.
on 2/19/15 9:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't try to do anything without a passport.  That alone should get you in and out without a problem. 

As for any local dangers, just be smart, stick to known safe areas and don't wander alone.  You'll not be in any condition to explore, anyway.  Let the airline know ahead of time that you're returning fron a surgical procedure and they can have a wheelchair ready for you on both ends.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vivian Prouty
on 2/19/15 10:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I know if you don't have a passport you will need your drivers license.   Is surgery that much cheaper in Mexico?   Most bariatric surgeon's now offer a cash price if you have no insurance or if it isn't covered.    I know lots that have had surgery in Mexico but you will need after care after the surgery and not sure how you will handle that.   Good luck to you and you will be in my prayers on that day.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Cathy W.
on 2/19/15 11:19 pm

You could also talk with your surgeon's office for info they have for patients returning to the U.S.

Best of luck to you on March 6th.  Please post updates to let us know how you're doing.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

ChristineB
on 2/20/15 12:25 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

This might help.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/noIntercept/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4OTgxMTU5MC9zaWQvdV94eW9zS2w%3D

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Eggface
on 2/20/15 1:06 am, edited 2/20/15 1:09 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Passport is required for reentry to the US. If you haven't applied... ummm get on that might want to pay for expedited (3 weeks versus 6 weeks or so) http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html

Many of the bariatric surgeons in Mexico have people that will pick you up and take you directly to the clinic or hospital... so as safe as most international travel is these days. Common sense stuff... don't flaunt expensive items or cash, go about your business. 

I went for 3 surgeries (not the same Dr as you) and I felt quite safe. 

Best wishes to you. Hope your medical tourism experience is as pleasant as mine have been.

~Michelle "Shelly"

On the Q about cost savings... the answer is sometimes... cash pay in US can be negotiated and often if some other procedure is done at the same time hernia repair for example the anesthesia, drugs, hospital fees can be covered for that 'approved' part of the surgery.... factor in travel and up to 10 day stay sometimes... it depends. Also... it must be said that if your insurance did not cover WLS it probably won't cover any complications resulting. Which is why you generally need to stay local in Mexico for a period of time.

I live in Southern California. I went solo. I stayed 7 days with RNY. I could return and did for follow-ups which minimized lengthier stays, I had a local PCP on board for aftercare (labs, etc.) I am a patient who generally heals well, generally no complications (though every procedure is different of course.)  It's not the right choice for everyone but it was great for me. 

All 3 surgeries RNY, and 2 rounds of plastics were all great experiences but there are good & bad Dr's/hospitals in every country so research... and beware of people who come on the boards and write a review the same day and never post again ;) 

There is a Mexico Forum here on OH. Click on Forums above.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com