Abnormal EKG

midiva
on 2/18/15 7:49 am - MD

So my EKG was abnormal so now I have to see a cardiologist for clearance and my VSG surgery is scheduled for Monday.  I had an abnormal EKG a year ago and the echocardiogram was fine.  I am praying and hoping that all is well.  Has this happened to any of you?  Any words of encouragement are appreciated.  

Had low calcium as well but a repeat of the labs yesterday showed normal calcium.  All other labs are normal.

:

Hislady
on 2/18/15 9:56 am - Vancouver, WA

I've had it happen several times because the leads weren't attached to the right spot during the test. I was always rushed into the cardiologist to get ok'd fro surgery. It is usually something silly like that but better to check it out than have something happen during surgery because it wasn't checked.

kathkeb
on 2/18/15 9:59 am

Yep, I had a routine EKG and they read it and asked me "how long ago was your heart attack?"

Umm, I've never had a heart attack!

off to the cardiologist for an echo and he found a small murmur and small amount of aortic stenosis ... Gave me the green light for surgery and I went back in a year to ensure that it had not progressed.

I probably have had this my whole life 

Best of luck, hope it is a quick test and clearance for you.

Kath

lburrell
on 2/18/15 11:03 am

Here too. The EKG and subsequent tests showed an irregular rhythm but after some additional testing I was cleared for surgery. Well wishes headed your way.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

MickeyDee
on 2/18/15 11:17 am

It's not uncommon for a surgeon to request further testing, especially for anticipated heart problems. Usually the rechecks show no problem and the surgery goes ahead.  (This recently happened with me and a TKR)  It's best for you, as well as the medical team, to be pro-active and make sure of your heart health than to allow a surgery which might have adverse effects due to anesthesia problems.  My results were great, and I'm sure yours will be also.  

emelar
on 2/19/15 2:32 am - TX

I have a heart murmur and it always shows up as a "severe myocardial infarction" on the EKG.  Sometimes they accept my word for it.  Sometimes I have to go to the next level of test and have a cardiologist read the result.  What you have is probably no big deal.

But if it is something, better to catch it now than when you're on the table for surgery!

janols
on 2/19/15 9:40 am

I had the same thing and went through all tests and everything is fine. My EKG still shows the same problem but all tests show there is nothing wrong. EKG's are not the most reliable tests.

midiva
on 2/19/15 10:51 am - MD

Thanks everyone.  I am hoping and praying for a cardiac clearance tomorrow and a safe, successful surgery on Monday.

: