Looking to learn from what you know please

rsafr
on 2/23/15 10:07 am - Kennesaw, GA
RNY on 09/21/15

I've made the decision to finally get control of my life.  I've started down this path for the better part of 3 months now and have had lots of support.  Based on my past medical history (DVT's, P/E, Blood Clots, 3 heart attacks) I thought that VSG would be the best, least intensive choice for surgery.  Today however, my Gastro Doctor was really surprised by this and told me to seriously consider bypass instead.  Has anyone else gone thru this and made a decision one way or the other and for what reasons?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

JfromLA
on 2/23/15 10:53 am
VSG on 09/01/14

Hmm, I've had 2 heart attacks and CHF for at least a year prior to my surgery, I'm also a heavy smoker. My Dr. would not consider anything other than VSG after my first consult. Also I was 550 lbs, last heart attack, the cardiac surgeon told me I would not survive heart surgery, so they just pumped me full of nitrous. Your health profile might be a bit different, but similar enough that I'd opt for the simplest fastest surgery. YMMV tho.

VSG 09/01/2014 HW 550 SW 550 CW 272 GW 170

ald731
on 2/23/15 9:02 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

Did your doc explain why he/she thought you should consider RNY?  It may be that your doctor is more familiar with RNY than the sleeve. My heart was set on the sleeve as soon as I knew about it, so my doctor would have had to give me a pretty compelling reason to change my mind. Thankfully, my surgeon left the decision up to me (and I chose the sleeve for a variety of reasons, but namely that I didn't want intestinal re-routing), but he did say that he prefers RNY for type II diabetics or folks with bad acid reflux; neither of those was an issue for me.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Kathy S.
on 2/24/15 12:32 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi rsafr,

Was it due to medical reasons your surgeon wanted you to do RNY over VSG or is it just the surgeon feels more comfortable doing the RNY?  You have to research, research, research. Here are some links to help you.  

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cathy W.
on 2/24/15 12:55 am

Did your surgeon give you reasons why he was surprised and told you to seriously consider RNY?  I would want concrete reasons from him/her before I made a decision.  If possible, go to another surgeon for a consult.  It is good to check out at least a couple of surgeons before making a decision on who you want to do your surgery.  

The more research the better when it comes to selecting a WLS procedure AND a surgeon.  

Check out the message boards for VSG and RNY for more info.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Valerie G.
on 2/24/15 6:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It really concerns me when people put up veils to other procedures when they seek only the "least invasive" procedure.  I've seen many of them a year or two later seeking revisions because they didn't get the results they'd hoped for.

What you want to understand is that wls is not one-size-fits-all.  We are obese for different reasons and each procedure addresses obesity differently.  I highly recommend you learn all you can about the sleeve, gastric bypass, and even the duodenal switch.  Learn all you can, and compare what you learn to what you know about yourself and how your body has reacted to your weight loss efforts in the past.  You might discover the third choice that isn't presented to you would be the best choice.  Go into this as a scholar, and you'll set yourself up for the absolute best results.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/24/15 8:38 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Valerie G has a point that you should check out all your options b4 picking one. When I first looked into wls I was firmly in lap band territory because I believed that was the least invasive surgery, but as time went on & I did more research into the different surgeries & analyzing my past weight loss attempts, I opened myself up to other possibilities & picked the sleeve.

I'm very satisfied with my choice, I might've not picked this surgery if I didn't open myself up to other possibilities. Like another poster said, Look twice, cut once. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MsBatt
on 2/25/15 2:32 am

The particular health problems you list here don't really point to any form of WLS being more or less risky for you. And forget that 'less invasive' crap---all forms of WLS are MAJOR surgery. In the long run, the 'least invasive' one is the one you'll be happy and successful with forever. (Having a second surgery because the first one didn't work would be HIGHLY invasive.)

I'm going to make two suggestions. First, research the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch IN DEPTH. Decide which one you're most likely to be happy and successful with. Secondly, once you've decided on the procedure that YOU want, schedule a consult with a surgeon who actually DOES all three forms of WLS. (Forget about LapBand. There's a reason many of the people living with it call it the CrapBand.)

If a surgeon *****gularly performs all three forms of WLS suggests you might be better off with a different procedure than the one you've chosen---do some MORE research. If you still don't agree with his suggestion, then get s second opinion. This is NOT something you want to rush into---think twice, cut once.

You might also want to check out the Revision board right here at OH. It's listed under Surgical Types on the main menu.

rsafr
on 2/25/15 10:00 pm - Kennesaw, GA
RNY on 09/21/15

Thank you ALL very much.  I'm learning more and more everyday and have set up a 2nd consult with a different surgeon.  Might be a comfort factor for the surgeon as you pointed out.  More reading and asking.......but at least its keeping me away from the snacks :)