5 days post op (RNY) - Is this too much?

iceblaze3k
on 2/22/15 4:38 am - Canada
RNY on 02/18/15

Hello all

I am 5 days post op and concerned that I am able to consume too much food. I plan to ask my surgeon about this but wanted to get a general idea of what RNY people were able to eat in their first week. I have no desire to push the limits of my new pouch to see if its working but cant help but feel that I should be experiencing some increased discomfort.

Here is what I have been eating:

DAY 3

Morning

1/4 cup of cream of wheat with protein powder

Lunch

1/4 cup cream of chicken soup with benefibre

1/2 cup protein drink

Dinner

1/3 protein shake made with skim milk

Drinks

bottle water x1

DAY 4

Morning

1/4 cup of cream of wheat with protein powder

lunch

1/4 cup cream of chicken soup with benefibre

1/2 cup protein drink made with skim milk with benefibre

Dinner

1/2 cup protein shake made with skim milk

Drinks

1 bottle water

The water is over the entire day. There is also misc small amounts of sf jello and applesauce for meds.

MickeyDee
on 2/22/15 6:21 am

You need to be drinking a LOT more water.  

JENI1166
on 2/22/15 6:55 am - Belleville, IL

Your diet is nowhere as strict as mine.  I can't have full liquids until week 2.  

SW 221  CW 209 GW 140 surgery date 2/17/2015. RNY gastric bypass

Racewalker48
on 2/22/15 7:20 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I was still on clear liquids at week 1.  I could move to full liquids only when I could get 64 oz of water consistently. 

new_me180
on 2/22/15 7:36 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

You need more water.

iceblaze3k
on 2/22/15 7:49 am - Canada
RNY on 02/18/15

Alright ill increase water but that doesnt make me feel any better about it being too much food.

hollykim
on 2/22/15 8:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

those foods are mostly liquids. Liquids go straight thru. You won't feel restriction with them. You should when you get to solids. 

It is not too much food. 

It is TOTALLY unacceptable amount of water. One bottle a day? Not gonna work. Liquid is infinitely more important than food. Dehydration can be deadly. You have plenty of fat to burn for fuel. 

NYMom222
on 2/22/15 10:38 am
RNY on 07/23/14

As long as you are measuring your portions and not having more than a few bites at each 'meal' you aren't overeating. My doc said I could eat 5-6 times a day at that point, whi*****luded protein drinks. I was drinking 2 protein drinks a day, until I got on pureed food, then one a day. 1/2 cup doesn't really address the amount of protein in them. My doc's said they had to have at least 20g protein, no more than 200 cal. and 5g sugar.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/22/15 10:51 am - OH

No, it is not too much food so don't fret about it (but, as the others have already said, it is far too little water). The things you are consuming are primarily liquid, and even the cream of wheat and applesauce are "slider" foods that start to exit your pouch as soon as they enter it.  Just continue to measure your portions and follow your surgeon's plan.

Also, disregard the comments about how others weren't allowed anything but clear liquids at 5 days out.  There are dozens of different post-op eating plans. -- from those that require liquids for 4 weeks (or more) to those at the other end of the spectrum that allow soft foods like eggs just a couple of days post-op -- and there is no one plan that is "right" (and as long as you are following your surgeon's guidelines, you will be fine. (You cannot physically damage your pouch by eating soft foods "too early".)

Now, take a drink of water!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

iceblaze3k
on 2/22/15 11:25 am - Canada
RNY on 02/18/15

Thanks everyone boosting the water already and I feel a lot more at ease.