Dumping?

Drbigdogz
on 2/21/15 12:04 pm

guessing I have experienced my first episode since my surgery on 2/13 and corrective blockage surgery on 2/14

my question is I apparently ate my tomato soup too quickly and it went straight thru, can or should I eat to replace the protein I lost? 

Please reply anytime

thanks 

Dave

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/21/15 1:15 pm - OH

What do you mean replace the protein you lost?  You mean because the tomato soup resulted in dumping that included diarrhea? 

Tomato soup doesn't have any protein to speak of (like 2 or 3 grams, if I remember correctly), but even if you added protein powder to it, you still absorbed some, if not much, of the protein from it.  The diarrhea that results from dumping is because the intestine pulls in a bunch of fluid to essentially water down the unprocessed sugar it detected, so the entire intestinal tract gets flooded with this additional fluid, and that results in diarrhea (and is what is expelled by the diarrhe... the diarrhea is not the soup running through your entire intestinal system in just an hour or so).

This is also part of the fallacy of using laxatives to try to diet.  It doesn't cause the body to NOT absorb the calories by passing the food through much more quickly.  It causes the body to pull additional water into the intestine... So laxatives don't cause weight loss via caloric malabsorption... They just dehydrate you and the weight lost is simply fluid that will just come back!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Drbigdogz
on 2/21/15 5:04 pm

Sort of, I make with lactaid milk do I get between 10-12 grams 

i actually just finished the 8 oz serving in probably 20 minutes or less in which I am pretty sure was my culprit 

had the thought to replace it with something new or wasn't sure if it would tolerate anything at all , my rookie status is shining through

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/15 9:22 pm

Tomato soup plus milk...that it's a lot of liquid carbs sugars at one time. Probably way too much...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Michele H.
on 2/21/15 6:59 pm - NJ

Try cream of chicken soup after straining out the little bits of chicken.  

Michele

Drbigdogz
on 3/8/15 6:20 am

Thanks it was good, things are a bit better, how did you deal with a cold? What meds can I take sore throat, stuffy head, cough ???

Michele H.
on 3/8/15 8:05 am - NJ

Any cold medicine thay does not have ibuprofen is OK.....I take Walmart brand cough and cold medicine with acetaminophen.  Liquid coigh medicine is fine too.  You will have to read labels from now on and check for ibuprofen.

Michele