Water tips

brandito
on 2/19/15 1:05 pm

What is your go to plan to get in enough water?

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

Pokemom
on 2/19/15 1:26 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I have had some trouble with this, so I have tried a few things to help myself:

One thing I do is that I have at least 12 oz of water or broth in the morning, before breakfast. (Not right before...I do have to wait to eat like very one else.)  Then I aim for 2-3 cups mid morning, 2-3 cups mid afternoon, and 1-2 cups after dinner.  

I also try to connec****er drinking to other habits.  Like, when I brush my teeth, I drink a glass of water.

I also measure out my liquid almost every morning into a pitcher, then set it on my counter where I can see my progress (or lack of progress) as I go through the day.

i like herb teas, and I brew up 2-4 cups every morning, and have it waiting for me, too, since since surgery, water alone has taken on a metallic taste for me, and I do better swallowing warm liquids over cold.

MickeyDee
on 2/19/15 4:11 pm

Most bottles of water are 16 oz., so I made sure to drink five of them every day.  That gave me more than enough to stay hydrated.  Other sources are herbal teas or diet Snapple or sf popcicles.  

Sometimes very cold water is difficult to drink, so experiment with temperature.  For me, hot or tepid was OK, but very cold gave my pouch a cramp.

You might also like to add a squeeze of lemon.

Valerie G.
on 2/19/15 9:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

When I was a new post op, I had a 64oz cup that I filled with my choice of beverage and I carried it everywhere.  It was my visual goal and reminder to keep drinking it in.  Today, I can empty that cup before lunchtime.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 2/19/15 10:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

early on,I bought two 32 ounce insulated cups and filled each of them every morning for the next day. I found I did and still do,actually,my best drinking while driving my car. Less distraction and I found after time,I could drink the whole 32 ounces of one bottle in 30 min. Driving to errands to visit family,etc gets me a lot of water down. 

Can't remember how far out you are,but you have to drink ALL THE TIME. You can't just sit a bottle down. It is like a hammer. That hammer will lay there into eternity,and do no wor****il you pick it up,then it does work. Same with a water bottle. 

Set your phone timer or anything else that gives you a reminder. However,if you ignore the reminder,then it is just a hammer.....your arm taking that bottle to your mouth all the time,is the work. 

One has to WANT to do work. Humans,as a species,MAKE time and put forth the effort to do the things they REALLY want to do. 

Cathy W.
on 2/19/15 11:16 pm

Right after I had surgery, I kept my water bottle with me and took sips throughout the day.  Those sips add up to being able to get in all your water.  

After I'd been post-op awhile, I was able to take more than just little sips.  I pretty much have my water bottle with me now all the time.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Tracy D.
on 2/19/15 11:32 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I get up an hour earlier than I need to and start drinking from the moment my feet hit the floor.  I don't stop drinking until about 5 minutes before I eat.  I wait 30 minutes after snacks and a full 60 minutes after a meal to start drinking again.  And I drink all the way up until about 7:00 p.m. at night.  

I have a bottle of water with me all the time and I am constantly drinking.  That's the plan and it was the plan from Day One.  I never had a problem getting in 64 oz. immediately post-op and now I routinely get in 100 oz. or more. 

Like people have said on here, you MUST treat drinking water like it's a job!   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jeffboutwell77
on 2/20/15 12:15 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Always keep a container of at least 32 ounces of water with you, and make sure you fill it at least twice I have gotten into the habit of doing this and I usually get over the recommended dosage of 64 ounces a day. Just remember flavored with miso or crystal light is best but cool is better...

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!