How do you manage hair loss after surgery?

AngryViking
on 2/19/15 10:23 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

I dealt with it by getting a super short haircut at about the 6 month mark.  I love this cut so much I don't think I'll be growing it long again. 

Tracy D.
on 2/19/15 11:52 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm one of the people who had a HORRIBLE experience with hair loss.   I had fine, thinning hair before surgery so this was a major concern for me; I almost reconsidered surgery because of my fears.  My hair loss started right away, worsened at Month 5 post-op and continued until 1 year out.  My hair guy estimates I lost at least half my hair, maybe more.  

I'll list what I did before in the hopes of preventing it (nothing worked), what I tried after (most didn't work) and what finally worked for me: 

Pre-op:  About two months before surgery I started on Biotin, extra zinc, Vit D and an herbal remedy that I can't remember now.  

Immediately post-op:  I continued with all the above.  However, I began having immediate shedding after surgery so I tried different shampoos - Nioxin and a couple other ones recommended on the internet.  Don't bother.  What DID help:  going longer in between shampoos and getting my hair cut into a super-short pixie. Also began using Toppik, a hair fiber powder to cover the bare spots.  

At about 10-12 months post-op:  I was getting desperate and actually ordered a wig but couldn't bring myself to wear it.  Even though it was high-quality it just looked stupid and was too big of a difference between what my hair actually looked like.  

Because I had hair issues before surgery, my doctor agreed to put me on 100mg of Spironolactone (google it for more info).  My hair loss lessened considerably over the first couple weeks and then I started getting some good regrowth.  

At 21 months post-op:  My hair is back to where it was before surgery but remember it wasn't perfect then...but I can deal with it.  My hair is super healthy now according to my hair guy and the strands are much thicker and stronger than they were in the first year post-op.  I continue to take Biotin, a little extra zinc and Vit D.  And I still don't wash my hair every day.  But I've foregone any herbal supplements or special shampoos.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15