Optifast weight loss question

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 11:03 pm - Canada

So I have been drinking 3 shakes per day (I just can't seem to stomach a 4th one) for 12 days now. I have not cheated once and I've only lost 7 pounds. Yesterday I weight 223 this morning I was 226. I worked last night and was run off me feet! I was so hoping that the scale would reflect that. How can this happen? My surgery is 2 days away and I'm wondering if the surgeon will say something. Any ideas? 

kathkeb
on 2/18/15 2:34 am

Well, 7 pounds in 12 days is amazing weight loss -- especially when you are starting in the low 200's.

If you are supposed to be getting 4 shakes worth of nutrition and calories, and are only drinking 3, that might be a problem.  Your doctor wants you nourished for surgery ---- if you have to, mix 2 shakes together and get it down --- or if you have powder-based shakes, you can make 3 'meals' out of 4 packets of powder --- just add a little extra to each of the 3 you are drinking now --- make them about 2 or 3 ounces bigger each -- and just do it.

You will be on the other side soon --- try to relax!

Kath

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/15 3:09 am - Canada

Now why didn't I think of that Kath? Dividing the extra package into 3 is a great idea. I will start that tonight. Thanks!

Kathy S.
on 2/18/15 2:37 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This is what makes weight loss insane.    Our bodies are evil...sounds like your body my think it's in starvation mode and not reflecting what it's lost on the scales. You know you have not cheated and as the other member said try and get the 4th one in for the protein if you can.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/15 3:14 am - Canada

My weight has always been insane Kathy! I was able to lose 72 pounds with W.W. about 10 years ago but was then diagnosed with breast cancer and had chemo and radiation. It forced me into early menopause and that in itself has made it difficult for me to lose weight. This time is for good though. I have to do this now before my family genetics catch up with me. I have 7 siblings and we are all overweight. Both my parents are diabetic, my mom had a stroke and a heart attack and 3 of my sisters have diabetes now too. Not this girl! Thanks for the support. I am loving this site!

QueenRani
on 2/18/15 6:03 am

Liquid diets are very hard before surgery, you are doing very well, look at the 7 lbs as an achievement! I do not have any advice to help with the weight loss but know that 12 days of liquids is no easy thing to do. Be proud you have stuck to it!

The BEST project you will ever work on is YOU! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/15 7:28 am - Canada

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!