Exercise and the weekends...

Thebiggestloser
on 2/17/15 10:01 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I just realized I am at my half way point to my goal and am so proud of myself...

however... I have no motivation to exercise... Find something you like you say... I have always disliked exercise. Honestly - I do not enjoy any form of exercise. What motivates you? what makes you exercise? I know I need to get moving but I am having a hard time. 

weekends... I am starting to truly not like the weekends. I eat soooo good at work during the week and then the weekends... Nothing goes according to plan. 

Been here?? I'd love your suggestions...

Gwen M.
on 2/17/15 10:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, getting into exercise was just a matter of forcing myself in the beginning.  I started with walking and that morphed into running after a while.  But then there were the fitness classes - I joined a gym and went to every class that sounded even remotely interesting to me, and I forced myself to stick with each one for a month before giving up.  By the end of the month there were ones I liked that I kept and ones that I didn't like, so I dropped.  But forcing myself to commit for that month really helped, otherwise I would have given up on all of them in the first week!  

I'm motivated to exercise because I know, in my heart of hearts, that it's good for me, that it will help me to stay healthy and be injury free, and that it will enable me to do all the things I want to do in life.  I'm stronger, more flexibility, and more in touch with my body now - I'm more able.  It's awesome.  

Can you try to plan for things not going to plan on the weekends?  For example, I tend to see a movie in the middle of the day on the weekends and I kept thinking I'd eat when I got home.  Which just screwed me up and I'd end up getting snacks at the theater.  So now I keep a number of prepped yogurts in the freezer and, when I got to the movies on the weekend, I just grab one and take it with me.  Or I thaw it earlier in the day, or whatever.  Then that's my meal and I eat it during the movie and I don't feel compelled to get a snack at the theater.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 2/17/15 10:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I didn't exercise at all this past week - that makes 9 years in a row.

I, too, hate organized exercise - it bores the snot out of me.  What I discovered, instead was how much I was enjoying all kinds of activities as I lost weight.  I could be 'active' without engaging in any gym rat activities.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Loser2542
on 2/17/15 10:41 am

I also am not a fan of exercising. I started walking, tracking my steps with a Fitbit.  I made a commitment with a friend to 60,000 steps per week. Didn't really like it, but now I am getting up an hour early every morning to get my steps in. My doctor encouraged me to do some strength training. Not comfortable going to a gym, I just had a personal trainer come to my house, and go over some basic things I can do to build strength. Don't really like it, but am following her instructions. I hope it will soon become a habit like the walking has. Try starting small and then building on that.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

NYMom222
on 2/17/15 11:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am not going to join a gym. In the summer I have a pool and swim everyday, and walk around my neighborhood sometimes. I like going to a class here and there, zumba, whatever. If I sign up for a package of 10 classes or a plan it is the kiss of death, I won't do it. Everyday I just think about what activity I can do for the day. I shoveled snow today. Good. Shopped and walked the mall for 3 hours. good. Turn the kitchen timer on for 30 minutes and 80's cardio on Pandora and dance. good. Also rediscovered this rebounder trampoline I have had for 4 years and never could use. Now I turn the TV on and jump. I also have a stretching routine I do some mornings because I wake up 'stiff'. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Eggface
on 2/17/15 5:44 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm not a gym person... I walk, hike, dance... 3-4 songs = 10 minutes, 3 times a day... you've got a 30 minute workout :)

I plan my meals everyday and use the weekends to make some foods or prep for the week ahead.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Paul C.
on 2/17/15 10:13 pm - Cumming, GA

Exercise goes beyond living in a Gym or participating in organized classes or events.  Exercise is being active.  Many people do not enjoy the act of running or logging hours on a bike. May of the people that I know who detest these things love going on a good hike.  Throwing on a day pack and some water bottles and picking a trail and simply walk it with people they enjoy being around.  I know others who garden as there form of exercise.  Anything but sitting around wasting away the weekend.

Me personally I work my ass off a couple hours a day riding, swimming or cycling and then I chill with my family the rest of the day.  I always hated exercise to.  Over the past few years I have come to learn why I hated it.

1) It was painful.  Lets face it when you get to the point all of us were at sometimes just walking across the room is painful much less going to the gym or out for a walk.  

2) I was embarrassed.  I always compared myself to others thinking those guys running on a treadmill at 8mph must be laughing at my ass trying to just not fall off.

As I got into it I quickly learned that it doesn't need to be painful.  Are my current workouts a sufferfest? Hell yes they are, but I have come to enjoy it, and it is a different pain.  The soreness I now feels lets me know I have done something to be proud of that day and it goes away.  I still compare myself to others but I have come to learn that While I am not the fastest or the best at the activities I do I am not the slowest and even if I was who cares, I am really entertaining.

So you don't enjoy any form of exercise.

Running, Cycling,  Swimming, Zumba, Boot Camp, Body Sculpt, Yoga, Hiking etc etc.  I find it hard to believe that you have tried every form.

Start with taking nature walks on a local trail and then if you enjoy that try a couple short hikes.  Have fun being active. 

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/18/15 1:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

If you dislike the word exercise, then get it out of your head & do something that makes you active. Exercise can be a chore if that's how you see it.

If I could be a gym rat I would be, I like going into my own world & knowing I'm doing something good for my body & there are other people there doing the same thing. However my schedule & the parking is a real pain so I don't go as often as I'd like, so in lieu of that I do bike riding on an exercise bike in the house, or really I just go out for a walk. If the weather wasn't so freakin cold I'd do more of it, but I like being outside, so sometimes I just do it anyway. I try to get my ten thousand steps in most days of the week. I use the fitbit one to track my steps.

Try anything, yoga, pilates, rock climbing, martial arts., tennis, swimming. It doesn't have to be a gym thing. I was into martial arts for a few years & it felt good getting out the stress of the day, while learning to defend myself. Hope you find something soon.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Y D.
on 2/18/15 2:34 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

this past weekend we took a trip to Sedona, AZ. I LOVED walking/hiking in the red rocks, seeing all the beauty around me. and on Sunday I "hiked" through all the stores in the tourist drag for about 2 hours.

it was an eyeopener for me because it was my first non-foodcentric getaway. before my vacay weekend would have been scouting out all the best eats prior, and having an a)crazy yummy breakfast b)crazy yummy lunch c)crazy yummy dinner- and a jeep tour instead of a hike.

and at home, my weekends consist of lots of "rest" hehe. i'll still keep Shabbat as rest- but I want to incorporate more of what I learned on my trip into my regular weekends too.

maybe trips to the botanical gardens to look at all the flowers, or volunteering at the animal shelter. I'm not at the gym level yet in terms of desire, but I am taking steps to make the weekend more 'active' instead of 100% rest/home based.

Kathy S.
on 2/18/15 2:42 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I agree with what everyone said here but may I throw something out?

You said you "do not" enjoy exercise. Have you ever tried doing it after your weight loss?  I hated any form of movement when I was heavy and stated often I was not into exercise. Well, the truth was I was not into reminding myself how little I could do.  I would not be able to catch my breath, sweat like a pig and hated it!!!!

Once I lost weight, I tried things I had not done since I was a kid. Bike ride, roller blading, water aerobics, walking, hiking, dancing.  Try a few things now you are lighter on your feet and you may be really surprised.  I found I LOVE Zumba. No, I can't keep up with the others, and I am often out of step but I don't care and neither does the class. I love music and moving and do both and it makes you feel so good about yourself.

If none of these are your "thing", I KNOW  you love to shop! So walk the mall several times while you SHOP!

Keep us posted on what you try and how it goes

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130