Total Knee Replacement Question

Cathy W.
on 2/15/15 10:20 pm

From previous posts, I had a total knee replacement in December.  I'm diligent with my PT and PT exercises.  

My leg aches all the time.  If you had TKR, is this normal?

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

gbsinsatx
on 2/15/15 11:32 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had right knee replacement on 7/23/14 and left knee replacement on 11/18/14. The right knee is doing great and has since 6 weeks post op. The left knee is problematic as I still have a lot of pain, stiffness and swelling. My surgeon advised optimal results for pain are achieved by the one year mark and pain will slowly diminish as time progresses. I have been faithful with PT and exercises. At my last post op appointment on 2/12/15 for my left knee my surgeon said my experience with my left knee is more typical as compared with the ease I experienced with my right knee.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cathy W.
on 2/17/15 6:07 am

Two knees replaced within months of each other is commendable.  Thanks for sharing your experiences with both of them for me.  

Like you, I've been diligent with my home health PT and outpatient PT, and exercises in between.  It is good to know that your experience with your left knee is typical.

Best of luck to you with your double bionic knees!

Cathy

Willie H.
on 2/16/15 2:04 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I kind of feel for those of you who had a knee replacement. I had a total hip replacement and surprisingly as I rehabbed alongside those who had their knees done-my friend included- it was much more difficult for them! 2 months later, I had no pain and I was out walking and playing golf while my friend still experienced stiffness, aches and pain. He's doing fine now as this was in January 2012 but I think it was around the 6 month mark where he really felt better with his knee. The knee is so central to walking and everything else and bear a lot of the weight - it really gets no rest. I hope your knee feel better very soon.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Cathy W.
on 2/17/15 6:09 am

Good to know that you had such success with your hip replacement.  

I'm two months out from my knee replacement - looking forward to the 6-month mark and beyond.  

Thanks for your good wishes and support.

Cathy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/16/15 12:09 pm - OH

I had my second knee replacement just over a year ago. It is still sensitive to pressure (especially sharp things like doggie toenails!) in the "southwest" quadrant below the knee.  The orthopedic surgeon said sometimes that happens and it will likely continue to improve.  When the weather turns very cold, though, the whole leg -- from mid thigh to a couple of inches below the knee -- aches. 

Based on what I was told about potential surgical outcomes before my first knee was replaced, having it ache all the time doesn't sound normal but I do know of one person who still has a significant amount of pain after the TKR.  

Perhaps you should make a visit back to the surgeon and have it checked. I certainly hope it isn't permanent!  It would be very discouraging to go through the TKR and then still have pain all the time!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cathy W.
on 2/17/15 6:13 am

Hi Lora,

Thank you for replying with your experience to my knee threads.  As I was wheeled into the OR, I remembered a couple of things you had posted which helped a lots.

I had my surgery two months ago and I'm already glad that I did it.  I was practically immobile due to the pain of walking a short distance.  I will talk to my surgeon about the aching.  The weather is frigidly cold so that may be some of it as well.

Thanks again, Cathy

Cathy

MickeyDee
on 2/18/15 7:41 am

I had Left TKR 09/2014 and then Right TKR 12/2014;  with healing, my left knee is still sometimes tender, but it's much better than it was immediately post-op.  My right knee is still more tender than my left, but that is to be expected due to time since surgery.  

For pain I had Oxycodiene, but I have stopped taking it.  I reduced my usage from 30mg daily to none after about two months, dropping gradually weekly.  Now I find that if I have some pain, I can obtain relief with a topical ointment called Voltaren 1%, which is an NSAIDS, but I was assured by my surgeon and my PCP that a small application per prescription will not cause problems with my surgical stoma, and I haven't yet noted any problem.  Believe me, I definitely keep track!  

I did my first two weeks post-op in a live-in rehab center, where I received PT and OT for an hour each daily, and boy did it help. I hope you have as much success I have had.  I am looking forward to being as painfree as others have told me they are.

Congratulations on your next steps to health!